- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
How to make Vengaya Roast or Spicy fried Onion Roast South Indian Tamilnadu style Recipe
Dear Hub readers,
This hub teaches you how to make Vengaya Roast or Spicy fried Onion roast in South Indian Tamilnadu style, little different way. An easy & tasty recipe for your morning breakfast. Cook & serve hot.
Crispy & spicy onion roast
- 2 cups Dosa Batter,, (salt added)
- Refined Oil, (on need basis)
- 1 Big Onion,, (chopped)
- 1/2 tea spoon Chilli powder
- ¼ tea spoon Dhania powder
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- ¼ tea spoon Mustard seeds
- ¼ tea spoon Salt
- 2- 3 Red chillies,, (chopped)
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- ½ tea spoon Bengal gram
- In a frying pan, pour 2 table spoon oil and wait till it gets heated.
- When the oil is hot put the mustard seeds in the oil and allow them to crackle.
- Add Bengal gram in the same oil; and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Then add the chopped curry leaves and red chillies along with the Bengal gram and fry them in oil.
- Now put the chopped onions and fry till onions become golden brown.
- Add the Chilli powder, Dhania powder, Turmeric powder, Salt and stir along with the onions.
- When the raw smell of the spices is gone, switch-off the flame and place the Spicy fried onions in a separate plate.
- Now we shall make spicy fried onion roast.
- Heat a non stick tawa or iron tawa in a medium flame. Add one or two drops of oil and rub with half-cut onion. This process avoids onion roast from sticking to the tawa.
- Pour one ladle of batter in the center of tawa and spread it in a circular motion as shown in the image.
- When the batter is spread to a thin layer it is called as roast. Note: Whereas, when the batter is spread as a thick layer it called dosa.
- Drizzle one tea spoon of oil around and across the Roast.
- Now put the spicy fried onions on the roast and spread them.
- Once the roast is cooked to some extent, flip it over to the other side.
- Cook the other side also well and turn the roast back after a minute.
- Take the spicy fried onion roast, out of the flame and place it in a separate plate.
- Serve hot with any varieties of chutney, Sambar or Idly Milagai podi/Idly spicy chutney powder.
© 2013 Ravi and Swastha