How to make Venison Meatloaf
One of our favorite hunting camp recipes is venison meatloaf. Not only does it make a great meal but, we get to make fried meatloaf sandwiches, with our leftovers the next day. Ground venison can take the place of beef in almost any recipe, we use it in spaghetti, tacos and chilli. It's much leaner than beef so, you have to be careful not to overcook. Venison meatloaf is simple to make, goes a long way and we usually have all the ingredients on hand.
Easy to make venison meatloaf
Classic Venison Meatloaf
- 2-21/2 lbs ground venison
- 1 lg egg, well beaten
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 slices bread, finely crumbed
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp honey or syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
How to make venison meatloaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl combine 3 Tbsp of the ketchup with the honey or syrup and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground venison, oatmeal, well beaten egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt and black pepper; mix well and place in a meatloaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1hr. then drain the fluids from the pan, add the ketchup topping from the small bowl and spread evenly across the top. Return to the oven and bake another 20 minutes or until done.
Tasty Venison Meatloaf
Turn that leftover meatloaf into a great fried meatloaf sandwich
At the hunting camp, we turn the leftovers into fried meatloaf sandwiches. To do this spray a little cooking oil in a skillet, turn it to med. heat, brown on one side then flip and put a little ketchup on top. The leftover meatloaf, makes great tasting fried meatloaf sandwiches. This is a quick lunch that helps get you back in the woods, in plenty of time for that evening deer hunt. Hope you enjoy!