How to make Vietnamese coffee
For the video, please scroll to the page's bottom
You can read the recipes in text format or by pictures.
When I left Vietnam, I lost the habit of drinking Vietnamese coffee every morning, maybe I did not have time, maybe I became lazy or maybe I no longer had a companion, my aunt.
Drinking Vietnamese coffee is unlike other type of coffee-on-the-go, you must invest time. Whether sitting alone or with the person you trust- having conversation. It's a bit different now a day but still: coffee business is a pleasure and time is the most important ingredient.
Choose your flavour
Some people neglect this step but honestly, you should choose the coffee that suit you most: light or strong, fragrant or taste, arabica or robusta.
The Trung-Nguyen-brand numbers their products so it is easier for us to pick. Number 7 is the weasel coffee that many coffee lover prefer; Number 8 is for women which is light but fragrant, these are my favourite.
Apart from Trung-Nguyen, if you are in Vietnam or travel to Vietnam you can get hold of Ca-Phe-Mai which is a favourite brand for Hanoian coffee aficionado as well.
MAKE 1 cup
3 tsp. coffee
2-3 tsp. condensed milk or sugar
Vietnamese coffee filter (small size)
A bowl (to keep the coffee warm through out filtering process
- Warm up tools: Pour hot water over the filter and the bowl then get rid of the water.
- Place the cup into the hot bowl off water, add 3 tsp coffee into the filter, even the surface with a spoon or/and shake, then fasten (a bit loose), and pour hot water just to cover the coffee.
- When the first dripping done and coffee is warmed up and raises in volume, fasten the filter further then pour water 3/4 the filter, about 1/2 cup of hot water and put the lid on. If it drips too fast, use the spoon to pin the filter-fastener further.
- Add condensed milk or sugar, serve hot or cold.
- Icy Milky coffee: Place 4 tsp condensed milk into a high glass, top with crushed ice; Shake coffee vigorously in a cocktail shaker/ a closed bottle would do then pour to the glass, stir well with a spoon.
- Black ice coffee: Similar but replace milk with sugar
- Hot milk coffee: Add 3 tsp condensed milk into the just brewed coffee, if you want extra hot, reheat the coffee first.
- Hot black coffee: Replace condensed milk with sugar
- Golden coffee OR egg coffee, whisk the egg yolk till fluffy with some caster sugar. In a cup, add 1-2 tsp condensed milk, add hot coffee and finally top with whisked egg yolk. Vietnamese butter beer! :p
- Filters are available in sizes, to make only one cup, please do not use the large filter because it can’t press the small quantity of coffee properly.
- Choose the right type of coffee for your personal taste, strong or light, fragrant or taste.
- For conveniency, though nothing can beat a freshly made coffee you can brew coffee in batch and store in the fridge.
Hubs improvement polls,thank!!
What information input do you prefer
- Top 10 Best Coffee Producing Countries in The World
Ever wonder which are the top coffee producing countries in the world? Here are the top 10 countries that produce coffee.
- Is Coffee Good or Bad For You? The Pros & Cons of Coffee Drinking
- Vietnamese dessert for a hot summer day