How to Make a Train Birthday Cake: Using Rice Crispies
The Perfect Recipe for Train Birthday Cakes
Rice Cripsy based Birthday Cakes vs Regular Sponge Birthday Cakes
So your kid loves trains, eh? Do you want to make your child a memorable train themed birthday cake, but you just don't have the time or expertise to make a traditional cake with multiple layers of butter cream frosting? You might want to consider making a Rice Crispy based cake. It's fun, it's easy, you can personalize the cake with icing (for lettering), candy, and cookies. What kid doesn't love candy and cookies in combination with a cake?
Quick and Easy Cake Recipes
After searching high and low for easy to make birthday cakes, it seemed to me that a lot of recipes and techniques out there require a lot of decorating skills or a lot of time (which most of us just don't have).
The problem with sponge cake based recipes (the majority of birthday cake recipes) is the technicality of the icing. Plus, I've never been a huge fan of lathering multiple layers of icing on cakes. Too sweet for my taste!
How to Make a Train Cake
- 6 cups Rice Crispies
- 1 package (10 oz) marshmallows
- 3 tbs melted butter
- 1 package string licorice
- 1 package ju jubes
- 1 package Mike and Ikes candy
- 1 package Oreo cookies
- 1 squeeze bottle icing
- 1 cutting board
- 1 package aluminium foil
Instructions-How to make a Rice Crispy Train Cake
- Melt butter in the microwave or stove. Stir in marshmallows until melted and remove from heat.
- Stir in Rice Crispies until well coated.
- Using a buttered spatula or wax paper, press the rice crispy mixture into a 13 x 9 pan and cool.
- Use a clean, plastic ruler to cut out rectangles out of the rice cripsies. Cut an extra square the position on top of one of the trains (this train will be the birthday girl or boys train)
- Take a cutting board and cover it with aluminium foil.
- Use the icing to draw train tracks on the aluminium foil. Cover the icing lines with string licorice.
- Use the icing to draw details on the rectangles (trains)
- Add different types of candy to the train to decorate and use the icing as the "glue".
- Cut the Oreo cookies in half and "glue" to the sides of the train with your icing.
- **To make the rice crispy train recipe gluten-free and healthier: 1 1/4 cups gluten-free organic brown rice syrup 3/4 cup organic almond butter 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon almond extract 6 cups gluten-free crispy brown rice cereal
Train Birthday Cake
Train Birthday Cakes Inspiration
So there you have it, quick and easy cake recipes that really please a crowd, especially a crowd of toddlers.
© 2013 healthygurl