How to Make Aloo ka Parantha and Eggplant Bhartha
Hello, this is living with pulmonary hypertension since 2004(livingpah2004) and today I am going to show you how to make potato stuffed tortilla or aloo paratha and eggplant bharta which is mashed potato eggplant, blend with other spices. These are my kids favorite and I have fun making it. Please excuse me if you have hard time understanding it. Could you please provide a feed back. Thanks.
The preparation and cooking time is 30 minutes and makes 8 paranthas.
You will need following Ingredients for Dough:
2 Cups of Chapatti Atta or Whole wheat Flour
½ Table spoon salt
2 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 Cup of cold water (cold water makes dough more softer)
Preparation of Dough
In a large bowl, mix well all the ingredients like salt, vegetable oil, atta or wheat flour.
Slowly add cold water until it form a soft and firm dough.
Cover with damp cloth and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
You will need following Ingredients for Potato Stuffing:
4-5 medium size russet potatoes, peeled and mashed
½ spoon turmeric powder
½ spoon coriander powder
½ spoon cumin powder
¼ Salt as needed
2-3 spoons chopped cilantro
½ spoon Amchur or dry mango powder
Oil to cook paranthas.
In the mean time,get the stuffing ready:
In a medium pan combine all the stuffing ingredients together like mashed potato, green chili, coriander leaves, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, amchur or mango powder and pinch of salt.
Now make a small lemon sized ball of dough and roll to form a 3″ diameter circle or just let your palm do the magic( watch video)
Take 1 spoon of stuffing and place in the middle of the circled dough and fold the edges of the dough until it cover the stuffing. Prepare the rest of dough with filling stuffing same way.
Before proceed any further you need to dust the working surface with some flour and roll out the stuffed dough to form circles with light hand.
Heat a pancake, nonstick flat pan or iron tawa if you have one.
When it gets hot, place a stuffed parantha and let it cook for 20 seconds at one side. And drizzle some oil with spoon.
Turn over the paratha and let it cook for a few more seconds the other side and drizzle some oil on this side.
Roast to a golden shade on both sides. Use a spatula to press the puffed areas as the paratha gets roasted.
Now it`s ready to serve hot with egg plant bharata and yogurt or cucumber raita.
Asafetida or Heeng
Baigan Ka Bharata or Eggplant
Baigan ka bharata or Eggplant is a north Indian recipe but is made everywhere now. It is made from roasted eggplant or steamed in pressure cooker. I prefer to cook in microwave for 8-10 minutes.
1 big Eggplant
2 medium sized potatoes
2 medium sized chopped tomatoes
3 table spoon vegetable oil
1 medium sized onion, chopped
½ spoon red chili powder
½ turmeric powder
Chopped green chilies and ginger
½ spoon cumin seed
5 big cloves Garlic
1 tsp Tamarind paste
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Hing (asafetida) 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 5-6
Salt as needed for taste
Save some cilantro for garnish.
- Wash, clean and dry eggplant and potatoes.
- You can cook eggplant and potatoes either in microwave for 5-6 minutes separately or in pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistle or roast it on high flame.
- If you are going to roast it, apply oil all over the eggplant and not the potatoes and roast on high flame and keep turning them so that all the sides are perfectly roasted.
- Cook tomatoes in microwave for 3 minutes
- Peel the skin and mash it in a big bowl. Use a big spoon, ladle or hand.
- Some people add all the ingredients at this stage and consider it done but some like to fry the bharata. So you go on #6
- In a medium pan heat oil and add cumin seed. When the seed start crackle add onion, garlic, green cilli, ginger and sauté until it turns golden brown in color.
- Add cooked tomatoes from microwave, cumin powder, turmeric powder, tamarind paste, red chili powder if you like hot. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mashed eggplant and potatoes and mash it well.
- Add salt.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for about 4-5 minutes again. No need to add any water to it. Keep checking until the eggplant is well done.
- Garnish with freshly cut cilantros.
- You can skip dry red chili powder and use only green chili or skip both.
- Since mashed eggplant and potatoes are already cooked,you do not need to fry too long after adding both. It is just to mix the flavors which won't take long.
- You can store eggplant bharata and aloo ka parantha in refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- You can eat Aloo ka parantha with ketchup, salsa or some vegetable gravy.
- You can also eat like burrito, layer with tomatoes,,onions and some sharp cheddar cheese and fold it.
I hope you enjoy watching the video and recipes for lunch menu. Do not forget to provide me some feedback. Thank you.
- How to Cook Delicious Lunch and your own Tortilla at...
Pulmonary hypertesion condition is not going to stop me for cooking lunch, steamed rice and home made tortilla. See how I manage it.
- Eggplant recipe
Do you like eggplants? Honestly speaking I didn't till the time I had learned this eggplant recipe. Read more..
- Indian Eggplant Recipes - 3 Easy and Tasty Dishes us...
Eggplants are rich sources of phenolic compounds that function as antioxidants. Because of the phenolic compound found in Brinjal it is said to be good to fight cancer and bad cholesterol. There are several easy and tasty recipes for Brinjal. Given a