- Food and Cooking»
- Beverage Recipes
How to Make an Inexpensive Iced Latte at Home Just as Good as Starbucks!
Video Tutorial Making Espresso
The Problem with Espresso at Home
If you are as much of a coffee snob as I am, you probably know the troubles of making espresso at home. I have been through countless espresso machines and paid a pretty penny for them only to find that they have a burnt taste or they break within a month or two. You see, when you buy an espresso machine, unless you buy one that is very high end, most of the internal components are made from plastic. Since the water is boiled within the espresso machine, the plastic is being steamed under very high pressure and temperature. This is what is going into your espresso. You wouldn't boil water in a plastic cup so why would anyone want to use an espresso machine with plastic parts?
A few years ago, I was browsing on Amazon and stumbled upon the AeroPress Espresso maker. This handy little device has changed my life. Seriously. I have had it for about 2 years and I have used it pretty much every single day (that's over 600 times!!).
Here is what is great about the AeroPress:
- It is cheap! Around $25 on Amazon
- It puts the simplicity back into coffee
- It presses the air out of the coffee to give a clean taste
- It's portable so you can take it with you
- The boiling water is only in the press for about 15 seconds, which means plastic isn't being heated under pressure to release nasty chemicals in your coffee
- It makes the best tasting regular coffee too!
- You decide the temperature, amount of coffee and steeping time to your taste
Vanilla Iced Latte
- 2 Tbsp Good Espresso Beans
- Hot water about 190-195 degrees
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Syrup
- 1 cup Milk
- Ice, (optional)
- Whipped Cream, (optional)
- Heat water in a kettle or pan to about 190-195 degrees. Grind espresso beans in a grinder or use pre-ground espresso and set aside in a container.
- Use filter for AeroPress and place into the Aeropress, add your ground espresso. Place your Aeropress on top of a glass. Once water is boiled to desired temp, pour in water up to line 2 in Aeropress.
- Stir espresso and water in Aeropress for 10 seconds. Then push the chamber down keeping steady pressure for 20 seconds.
- Remove the press and add vanilla syrup to espresso. Fill with Ice, add milk and garnish with whipped cream. Yummy.