- Food and Cooking
How to make buckeyes!
These Buckeye candies are not hard to make at all and can be used for festive Christmas gifts! Buckeyes are peanut butter balls that are dipped in chocolate a bite sized treat that is absolutely delicious, the chocolate and peanut butter melt in your mouth, such a great delectable for the holidays! This is the best and most simple recipe you'll find! Do it with the kids, they'll love helping making these yummy deserts!
Ingredients! + Materials!
- 1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar (about 1/2 lb.)
- 4 cups good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsps. vegetable shortening
- wax paper
- double boiler
- tooth picks!
Make the Peanut Butter Balls
- In a large bowl (or the bowl or an electric mixer), combine the peanut butter, butter, and vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar to the mix until it is well mixed. (The dough will look dry.)
- Roll the mixture into 3/4" balls, using your hands, and place on a plate lined with waxed paper. Stick a toothpick in each of the balls (to be used as a handle for dipping in the chocolate). Chill in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Melt the Chocolate
3. When the peanut butter balls have set, gently melt the chocolate and shortening in the top of a double boiler, stirring frequently, under smooth.
Form the Buckeyes
4. Dip the frozen peanut butter balls in the chocolate, holding them by the toothpick. Leave a small portion on the peanut butter showing at top so the candy resembles the fruit of the "buckeye" tree.
5.Return the buckeyes to the plate. Gently remove the toothpick and smooth over the hole. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving.
6. Store buckeyes in a tightly sealed tin or (preferably) in the refrigerator. Buckeyes also freeze well
Makes about 5 dozen