- Food and Cooking
How to make coleslaw
I'm not a fan of the sweet and/or over-dressed coleslaw that you usually find in supermarkets and deli's. This easy recipe is on the
tart side, and goes great with grilled or barbecued foods that have
sweetness to them. It's also a good side dish for those on a low-carb diet.
- 1 tablespoon of Mayonnaise.
- 1 tablespoon of Sour Cream (or substitute another tbsp of Mayonnaise if desired)
- 1 tablespoon of mustard (I prefer brown mustard)
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- 1/2 teaspoon of celery seeds. (more if you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces cabbage, shredded (mix red and green cabbage for color if you like)
- 1/2 carrot, peeled and shredded
You can substitute coleslaw mix (no dressing) that is available at most grocery stores.
Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage and carrot a bit at time until you have the texture the way you like it. Add less cabbage for a creamier texture, add more for drier texture.
- Mix well.
If you're going to make this ahead, you'll need to add a little sugar (or sugar substitute) before serving, because the cabbage will get bitter over a few hours. This recipe takes so little time and effort, that I prefer to make it just before serving and I recommend that you do too.