Recipe for midwestern BBQs (also known as taverns and sloppy joes)
About these BBQs
This Recipe was handed down from my great grandmother to my grandmother to my father to me. This is the best recipe of this type that I have ever had.
In our area of NW Iowa we call these delicious sandwiches Barbeques or taverns. In other parts of the country they are Sloppy Joes or Made-Rights.
- 1 large onion
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 2 c. Ketchup
- 1/4 c. Horseradish Mustard, (or Spicy Brown mustard)
- 1 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- Finely chop the onion. (I use the food processor because my family doesn't like onion chunks)
- Take the chopped up onion and put it in a deep skillet. Add raw hamburger. Brown hamburger and onion until there is no pink left in the ground beef. Drain ground beef only if really fatty. A little fat helps flavor.
- Add 2 cups ketchup, 1/4 cup mustard, 1/2 cup water to browned beef and onion. Mix together.
- Simmer on medium/low (without lid) for 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Serve on buns. You can also serve on top of hot dogs on buns and have a Coney Dog.
Other Recipes by this Author
- Chocolate Chip Crackers - Fast and Easy After School Snack
Chocolate Chip Crackers are a quick and delicious after school snack. The favorite snack of my daughter's kindergarten class along with my oher kids and husband too!
- Make Your Own Frozen Pizza
- Recipe for BBQ Pork Sandwiches in the Crockpot
Delicious Recipe for pulled pork sandwices with an easy zesty BBQ sauce. This recipe can be served immediately or frozen for future use.