- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Stew Recipes
The Best Heirloom Beef Stew Recipe
Once cooked, it can be eaten with mashed potatoes and vegetables or just as it is. You can add some shortcrust or flaky pastry to the top and cook for another forty minutes. This turns it into a delicious steak and vegetable pie. The video is of my 82-year-old mother making the stew. Watch it to the very end to see some funny outtakes!
Preparation time: 10 mins approx
Cooking time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 portions
- 1 ½ lbs of round steak or other beef cuts
- 2 large size onions
- 4 medium size carrots
- 2 large tomatoes
- Tomato puree, Sunflower oil, Gravy mix
- Chop the veggies.
- Wash and chop the steak. Layer the bottom of your pan with the meat. You'll need a pot and a pan for this.
- Add the cooking oil and onions to a pot (not the pot that your meat is in).
- Cook onions until brown, and then add the carrots, tomatoes, and tomato puree.
- Spread veggies evenly on top of the meat in the pan. Add just enough water to cover the ingredients. Cover the pan with tin foil and cook for an hour and a half.
- Remove the stew from the oven, add in the gravy, and then put the stew back in the over for another half hour.
In-Depth Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cut up the onions into medium slices.
- Cut up the tomatoes into medium pieces.
- Cut up the carrots into large round shapes.
- Wash the round steak under the tap.
- Cut up the round steak in to portions.
- Put these into the bottom of the cooking dish.
- Add the cooking oil and onions to a pot.
- Cook for approx. thirty seconds until the onions are brown.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, and tomato puree.
- Mix in these vegetables on the cooker for three minutes.
- By putting in the carrots and heating them, it gives them a harder shell. They taste better in the stew because of this.
- Remove the vegetables from the cooker and add on top of the meat and spread evenly.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Cover the cooking dish with a lid and place in the oven.
- If you do not have a lid then use tin foil. Cook for one and a half hours.
Step 4 (Thickening)
- Remove the stew from cooker.
- Add some extra boiled water to the stew.
- Make up the gravy and stir this into the dish slowly until mixed in evenly.
- Place the dish back in to the oven for a further thirty minutes.
How to make a Beef Stew
Your beef stew is now cooked and ready to eat!
Remove from the oven and serve.
Total preparation and cooking time of steak and vegetables is two hours and ten minutes.