Unbelievably Good Fried Chicken Recipe
Fried Chicken Technique Handed Down To Me
There are many ways to make a good fried chicken. There are people who swear by the recipe that was handed down by their grandma from the old country.
I have a recipe that was handed down by my Aunt Bea who was raised in the South. If you want a great, juicy, tender, flavorful fried chicken you just have to try this recipe.
This recipe was actually passed down to my aunt from her mother-in-law. She was an excellent cook who closely guarded her recipes. I don't know what my aunt said or did to get her to give her this recipe, but I am thankful she did.
Fried Chicken Recipe
2 lbs chicken, cut up
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup parmesan/romano cheese
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1. Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. Mix together milk, mayonnaise and egg.
3. Combine flour, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and garlic powder and place in resealable plastic bag.
4. Dredge chicken in milk mix, let excess mix drop off.
5. Drop chicken into flour mix and coat all sides thoroughly.
6. Remove chicken and set aside. Repeat with all pieces of chicken.
7. Cover and refrigerate chicken for 1 hour. This will make a crispier chicken.
8. Heat shortening in large cast iron skillet. The edges should be 4" high and the shortening should cover the bottom half of the thickest piece of chicken.
9. Fry chicken for 10 to 15 minutes per side according to size of chicken piece. The juice runs clear when the chicken is done. Always use tongs. Using an instrument that pierces the meat lets the juice run out of it.
10. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
Healthy Meals Using Fried Chicken
So looking at this recipe I know it can't be eaten all the time. It may be delicious but it sure can torpedo a diet. I got to thinking about how I could get to eat this chicken as a healthy meal.
You can make a chicken salad. My idea of a great chicken salad is lettuce, tomato, cucumber, little slices of celery, radishes, black olives, some low fat shredded cheese, chopped up fried chicken from my recipe above and some ranch dressing (low fat of course).
Another way to use it is to put it in a chicken pot pie. It adds flavor to it like you wouldn't believe.
I think it would be great in a stir-fry of sorts. I think I would slice up some onion, green pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and some of the chicken.
Or how about as a chicken salad lettuce wrap. Chop up the chicken, add some onion, celery, and a touch of mayonnaise and wrap it in a giant lettuce leaf.
Anyway you fix it, I am sure it will be delicious.
It was actually the Scottish who were the first to deep-fry chicken in fat (the rest of the world usually baked or boiled it), and they brought the dish with them to America.
In Korea, chicken is fried twice and dunked in a sweet and spicy sauce; in Japan it’s cut into small pieces and fried in a style similar to tempura (and is called karaage); in Thailand it’s given a powerful marinade and served alongside sticky rice; and in Senegal it’s coated in peanut flour.
- How to Make Perfect Southern Fried Chicken
This is how Southerners make perfect, moist, crunchy, tasty fried chicken.
- The Amazing Life of Colonel Harland David Sanders, F...
Harland David Sanders didn't have enough money to retire at 65. He decided to open a restaurant selling his special fried chicken. It resulted in one of the most successful franchises in U.S. history.
- Southern Country-Fried Chicken: Crisp, Deep Brown, a...
photo credit: www.eatfoo.com Col. Sanders be gone. Make your own country-fried chicken at home, and get a rich, dark brown chicken with a shatteringly crisp crust and a taste so good you'll find yourself inexplicably in front of the fridge at two...
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe
Have you always wanted to make Buttermilk Fried Chicken but you couldn't ever find that perfect recipe. Well I have the perfect recipe for you for Buttermilk Fired Chicken.
- Easy Fried Chicken Recipe And Mango Sauce
I paired a mango sauce with my special fried chicken and it turned out extremely well. I will take you through step by step instructions on how to make both the fried chicken and the mango sauce.
- How To Cook Oven Fried Chicken In A Parchment Bag
Parchment bags are a super easy way to cook en papillote which is a wonderful way to cook anything from chicken to fish to desserts to popcorn. Check out PaperChef parchment bags and this super easy oven fried chicken in parchment recipe and you'll b
More than half of all chicken entrees ordered in restaurants are for fried chicken.
© 2009 Susan Hazelton