- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
How to Make Steak Pie with Shortcrust Pastry
Steak and Onion Pie Recipe
I show you how to make a quick and easy recipe for steak and onion pie. Step by step instructions with photos of how to make homemade shortcrust pastry.
This recipe is easy to prepare and can then be left in the oven to cook.
This means more time for yourself and a fantastic meal at the end of it.
Depending on what steak you buy this dish can be very economically made.
When I can afford it I buy the more expensive pieces of meat or wait until the better cuts are on special offer. For this recipe I was able to use Welsh Topside of beef because of the cheaper price.
This dish freezes very well and I made some smaller pies and one large one. I was expecting visitors to stay with me in a few weeks time so froze the large steak pie and cooked it when they arrived.
This not only saved me money but also a lot of time when they were here.
The shortcrust pastry is very quick and easy to make and I have given step by step instructions with photos below.
But if you are not confident in making your own home made pastry there is some very good frozen pastry you can get in the shops.
Preparion and Cook Time
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 2 hours 40 min
- Ready in: 2 hours 55 min
- Yields: Makes 1 large and 5 small steak pies
- 4 large pieces of beef, Top Side
- 4 large onions
- 2 medium carrots
- Tin or tube of tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of gravy powder
- 6 ounces of plain flour
- 3 ounces of butter
Recipe for steak and onion pie
- Cut the ends from each onion and peel. Wash them under the cold tap.
- Cut into small pieces and add to a frying pan. You will have to do this in stages as there will be too many onions to do it in one go.
- When each amount of onions is brown add some tomato puree and stir. Place these in a roasting dish. Continue this process until all the onions are heated and brown.
- Take out the steak and wash under the tap. Do not wash the frying pan because the juices of the fried onions will flavour the steak. Add the meat to the frying pan with a tiny bit of oil. cook until brown and sealed on both sides. Put into the roasting dish when ready.
- Peel and grate the carrots and add to the dish.
- Pour in boiling water on top of the ingredients making sure to cover them. Cover the roasting dish with tin foil with a few holes cut in it to allow the air to escape.
How To Make Steak Pie
- Put in the oven on the highest temperature for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 220 degrees and cook for another hour.
- Prepare the gravy powder by adding two tablespoons to a half a cup of cold water. Stir in well until blended completely.
- When the steak and onion pie has been in the oven for the time above remove the dish. The steak will still be in large pieces. Remove from the dish and put on a plate. This is the time you can cut away any excess fat you do not want as it will fall off the meat. Cut the steak up into small pieces
- Slowly while continuing to stir the meat juices add the gravy powder. When it has been mixed in well then put the steak back in the dish evenly.
- Replace the tin foil and put back in the oven for a further 10 mins.
- Take out of the oven and add the food to each pie dish you have ready. A large one for a family meal or smaller ones for freezing.
- The shortcrust pastry will be ready as per instructions below.
- Allow the meat and onions to cool for about ten minutes in the dish and then add the pastry to the steak pie you intend to eat for your dinner.
- Put back the pie dish in the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the pastry is to your liking.
- This is the time to prepare and make your other vegetables and potatoes that you intend to accompany the steak and onion pie for your family meal.
- The remaining steak and onions in the other dishes can be let go colder before you add the pastry to them. It will be easier for you as the pastry will not sink.
6 oz of plain flour
3 oz of butter
How To Make Shortcrust Pastry
Step by step instructions for Easy Shortcrust Pastry
- Use a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flour to the bowl by using a sieve. This will enable the air to be trapped in the mixture.
- Throw in a pinch of salt
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Do not use the butter straight from the fridge as it will be too hard.
- Put the pieces of butter into the bowl.
- Mix with the flour using your fingers until it is a crumbly texture.
- Now you are ready for the water. Make a hole in the middle of the mixture and pour in stages mixing with a wooden spoon until the mixture is a sticky, but not too wet.
- Make into a round shape with your hands in the bowl and add a sprinkle of flour to the top of it.
- Add flour onto a tray or flat surface and take out the pastry mix.
- Turn around gently in the flour to cover all of the mixture. It should be dry on the outside and light to touch.
- Cover it and leave until needed.
- Cut the pastry into the size you think you will need for each dish.
- Roll out the pasty to the approximate size of your dish.
- For the steak and onion pie you intend eating that night for dinner add the pastry after about ten minutes of cooling in the dish.
- Wet the inside of the dish with water using a pastry brush. This helps it to stick and saves the pastry from slipping down into the meat mixture.
- Cut the excess pastry off with a knife. I always add these bits to the top of the pastry because they cook crispy.
- Replace in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Allow the other smaller dishes to go cold before adding the pastry as it is easier
Homemade Steak and Onion Pie
I like to make this dish a few days before I am having visitors because it freezes very well.
I take it out of the freezer in the morning when I need it and it only takes forty minutes to cook in the oven. That way my family get a delicious home cooked meal and the pleasure of more of my company.
Making home made shortcrust pastry is cheap and fairly easy to do. It can be messy though but oh so worth it for that great taste.
All Images are the copyright of L.M.Reid