How to make crumbed calamari on lettuce recipe
This crumbed calamari dish is super easy to make and my mum actually came up with the idea of placing the calamari rings on the lettuce.
The calamari rings are crunchy on the outside and tender inside. To be honest, it tastes so much better than the calamari bought from the takeaway shops and coffee shops!
- canola oil
- 3 eggs
- green lettuce
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup standard flour (all purpose flour)
- a bag of frozen pre cut calamari rings (about 750g)
- lemon wedges
- salt, pepper
- tartare sauce
- You do not need to defrost the bag of frozen, pre cut calamari. I find that it is easier to coat the calamari rings when frozen because it keeps its ring shape, preventing the calamari from splitting in half.
- Place flour, salt and pepper into a bowl. Beat eggs in the second bowl and place bread crumbs in the third bowl.
- Coat the calamari rings in flour. Dip the rings into egg mixture and then coat the rings in breadcrumbs. You can use your fingers to dip the calamari rings in each bowl however I find that using tongs is less messy.
- Heat oil into a wok or deep saucepan. Deep fry the rings in batches, over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until light golden.
- Wash the lettuce and arrange it around the plate, as shown in the picture above. Place the calamari rings on the fresh lettuce.
- Serve with lemon wedges on each side and tartare sauce. Enjoy !