- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Prepare Easy Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
Comfort foods are home made foods that take us to that place of comfort and peace. My comfort foods range from tea and toast, hot chocolate with mini marshmallows, spaghetti, beef stew, seven layer squares and the ultimate macaroni and cheese.
I’m not taking about Kraft Dinner or baked Mac and cheese, which is good, but my newest comfort food is easy to make in a slow cooker.
Yes, I’m a practicing Raw Foodie and I eat about a 75% raw diet, but I also listen to the body, and if it tells me it is looking for a creamy, cheesy treat then I listen and prepare the slow cooker for an afternoon workout.
This will take about 15 minutes to prepare and then 3 to 5 hours to complete in the slow cooker.
What you will need
1 cup of elbow macaroni
1 cup of Cavatappi macaroni (spiral macaroni with edges)
2 cups of shredded Cheddar Cheese (Divided)
2 cups of Mozzarella or Monterey Jack Cheese
2 cups of 1% milk
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
½ teaspoon of dry mustard
½ teaspoon of paprika
Cook the pasta about half the time so it is not fully cooked as it will finish cooking in the slow cooker.
· Coat the inside of slow cooker with a light cooking spray
· In a large bowl, mix together milk, seat salt, pepper, dry mustard and paprika
· Mix in ½ cooked macaroni’s and 2 cups of Mozzarella or Monterey Jack Cheese and 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese.
· Transfer mixture to slow cooker and sprinkle remaining cheese on top (leave about a hand full of cheese to the side until finished)
· Cook on low for 4 – 5 hours on low or 2- 3 hours on high. Try not to remove lid while cooking, but stirring close to the end of cooking time will help mix everything together.
· With the handful of cheese left, sprinkle on top at the end of cooking time for a little extra cheese topping.
· Sometimes I like to sprinkle Parmesan cheese at the end of cooking time for a different flavor.
· Alternatives: you can use a light Velveeta cheese product for ½ of the cheese ingredients for a creamer dish, but reduce the about of milk to 1 ¾ - 1 ½ cups of milk – if there is too much liquid just cook a little longer. It is worth the wait!