- Food and Cooking»
- Food Markets & Shops
How to shop for fresh organic produce at your local supermarket using PLU Codes
Supermarket and Grocery store produce selectivity
For the longest time us human's have been fooled into thinking that much of our food that's been sold to us at the local grocery store was safe, healthy, and suitable enough for human consumption.
However it may be we all have surely been tricked into thinking for far over 30 years plus, that purchasing these supermarket store food products, that by consuming them, by serving our children, our family members and even by helping to feed entire communities this rubbish, that we were all doing what was right.
Well, the honest truth to the matter is, that we've been fooled by some pretty money hungry corporations, and things are actually slowly beginning to change due to the wide spread information consumers and abroad have been learning in recent years, and all about the harmful levels of pesticides, GMO's (Genetically modified produce), harmful poisonous toxins that's depleted our soils due to fertilizers set out to kill pests, and micro organisms that threaten crop yields.
So how do I shop for safer fresh produce
The answer for us local grocery store shoppers, and supermarket consumers is, all we need to do is learn how to read the labels. You know them annoying stickers that tend to be so sticky that it at times leaves a residue on your bright red tomato's, and on the skin of your oranges or your yummy delectable banana you so desperately was craving for.
Yes those stickers hold the key to unlock all of the safe knowledge you will need to make the much more healthier purchase, and to avoid from consuming produce that's truly harmful to your digestive system. Anywhere from fruits, vegetables, nuts, and even herbs all have these food labels, which are given a specific coding number sticker. This type of code is known as a PLU code (Plu code official look up website), you can utilize this code to determine whether your local grocers produce is organic, conventional, or was genetically modified.
Note: PLU - Stands for Price Look Up
Verifiable proof in this video
The PLU Code break down
Here's how it breaks down when it comes to detecting what each type of PLU codes (Informative wikipedia link) are there, and what it means to us all.
- There are two majoring separate types of PLU Codes
- One type is a 5 digit PLU
- The other type is a 4 digit PLU (Look up these on the PLU website it shall deliver answers as to what type of food item it is)
- The 5 digit PLU Code can appear starting with a number 8 or number 9
- If the first number of the code is a 8 - It means the item was genetically modified and potentially harmful for human consumption.
- If the first number of the code is an 9 - It means the item its placed on is Organic (Certified by the National Organic Standards Board)
- PLU Codes of 3 and 4 in the first position are code identifiers of conventional produce.
There are alternatives to shopping at super markets
The rise of fresh organic produce in recent years has created a trend, and boost in the farming industry like no other. Organic Farmers Markets are literally popping up from out of no where it seems, and it has become the on going trend for an answer to the health crisis our America society has been plagued with for decades on end, and so we all have many more options then one to shop for a better more safer food produce that shall help us render ourselves out of harms way, in terms of consuming foods that are completely unhealthy for us.
Which health food stores are good to shop best from
- Whole Foods - This food market has some of the best organic fresh produce in the world, and you should check to see if there's a store located in your township, state, city, our country.
- Traders Joes - This cool hometown health store is definitely in the right direction today, they have both organic, and conventional food produce, but much of their products aren't genetically modified or processed (Haven't been cooked, heated or denatured at the factory level)
- True Foods Market - Online health food store which has everything, and anything you can think of in terms of the organic food world that can be purchased online.
- Natural Grocers - (by Vitamin Cottage) They may not be located all over the United States like many other health stores, but the locations they are at has the best organic produce, and freshest food selections to help people who live there, grab the best healthy options they have to offer so check em out to see if they're in your geographic area.
Health Store Selectivity
There are even more options in terms of health food stores to locate to shop from, and to definitively access so to avoid from making the unsafe product purchases of chemically processed foods that in fact pose hazardous long term health risks. Many food manufacturers have for years been packaging food items, for the main reason to sell them at a much faster rate and higher selling price, and so these food items can stay on the selling floor for longer periods of time, for none other then to make a higher profit. All this however, comes at an extremely high cost and at the expense of us, the consumers who get the brunt end of the stick, both in our wallets, and also in our tummy's leading to physical ailments of all sorts, or even death.
Many people have grown so addicted to processed foods, which have food additives, preservatives, and a wide variety of chemical based food coloring's, flavor enhancers, and so many other harmful cancer causing chemical agents (Any chemical that robs your blood cells of precious oxygen by being infused with carbon dioxide inducing it to age and weaken into an acidic state, and many that have the potential to create free radical cellular damage), that it robs our foods blind of any true nutritional values. People have no idea for the most part that even by cooking foods, that it does much more damage then good, to the original organic nutritional value that food item once had and in its most natural form.
This is all reason for much of our health conditions we either been seeing people are having, or have been facing ourselves in our personal as well as family life. Many folks are dealing with out of control weight problems, contracting bacterial related diseases, and even including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and so many others the list goes on and on which is definitively related to consuming foods, and having a poor dietary plan.
So with that all being said, it is imperative for us all to become much more aware of the foods we choose to purchase, we must be more vigilant about watching our food labels, and this all is not just for those who have chosen to become vegans, vegetarians, and or a food nut/guru's who swear that they've figured it all out, and maybe wants to create some Youtube campaign to try and save the world per say, we need to do this for ourselves and for the overall health of our families.
Awesomely Fresh Organic Food & Snacks work wonders
What does it all mean?
- This all means that antioxidants present in organic veggies, and fruits will put up a fight in your blood stream using oxygen as a weapon against carbonated acidic chemicals from food processing, or genetic modifications, and since they're more alkaline in their natural organic state, it can and will eventually reverse the oxidation process (Aging - loss of oxygen on the cellular level).
- Organic produce also have more oxygen content present and equates to higher antioxidant potential, conventional or GMO brands of produce have less oxygen present, and more carbon, thus making them acidic rather then alkaline.
PLU codes and learning how to read your food labels will make all the difference when it comes to making the more healthier choice. "We are what we eat", is how the saying goes and its oh so true today, and always has been.
Selecting the right stores to shop from preferably a health food store is a start up the right directions, as for food is concerned and also it helps to avoid a major catastrophe many years down the road, when your facing hospital bills, feeling you need a laundry list of medications that only worsen the health problems you have rather then cure it.
Note: The secret to overall good dietary health is; our red blood cells, and white ones are all we need to fight and to potentially cure most diseases, but they need to be healthy too, & Fresh Organic Produce = Cleaner Healthier Blood.
The official sources of the PLU Codes sticker labeling system
- International Federation for Produce Standards - (PDF Document)
This is the official online PDF guide of the IFPS PLU Codes User's guide for 2012, if anyone thinks this articles info isn't accurate or what have you, well this is the verifiable proof from the official organization in charge.
- New Jersey Gov - Understanding Organic (PDF Document )
By the NJ Department of Environmental Protection Pesticide Control Program Pesticide Evaluation and Monitoring
Other very useful health articles
- Fat sick and nearly dead - A Joe Cross Film
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is a documentary showcasing one mans fight to rid himself of harmful eating habits, he did so by juicing in a 60 day juice fast, and his name is Joe Cross.
- Why? Drinking alcohol is killing us slowly and causi...
Drinking alcohol is highly dangerous both short term and long term if consumed, and the effects of alcoholism is quite disastrous to a person and to that of their entire family. This hub is an inspiration from another hub writer known as
- Dr Max Gerson discovered a natural cure for cancer -...
My mom died of breast cancer and like many other countless victims of the disease, medically there's no known cure. To my surprise I found a documentary that suggests there was a doctor who has proven claims that there is a cure and others are being
- Processed Milk does a body bad - Fighting the blood ...
Discovering the truth behind harmful foods, and realizing cow milk is one of them was shocking to me, for the first time, and now I fully understand why. The culprit known as Lactid Acid, is the number one contributor, its a hub on the why & how'
- Nutribullet fruit juicer, health notes and what insp...
Today our overall health awareness has raised to an all time high worldwide. Foods have been genetically altered and modified for years in many ways, to make for a better appearance, appealing taste, and life cycle on the shelf as well as fast sell,