Peanut Butter Cookies - How to Make the Best Peanut Butter Cookies Ever
The Best Peanut Butter Cookie Ever
Can you make peanut butter cookies next time?
Of course that question pops up almost every time I make cookies of any type - I've got two die-hard peanut butter lovers among The Horde. Their grandfather was the same way - when I was a teenager I figured out the best way to either get out of trouble or to get money for something I most likely didn't need was to make peanut butter cookies for my Daddy.
I now make these for the children, and I've taught them how to make them. I tell them they can have all the junk food they want, with two conditions. It has to be homemade and they have to make it themselves. This delicious little cookie almost made that rule backfire on me. First, they're so good that they don't care about the extra work, and secondly, they're super easy peanut butter cookies, so it doesn't deter them at all. My nephew even figured out about putting the chocolate kisses right into the flattened dough. Now if I could only get them to do the dishes afterward....
When I ran the numbers on this recipe, the batch came in at $6.13, and the batch is large - it makes 60 cookies, so this is great for parties, holidays or bake sales. That breaks down to just .20 per serving - if you count a serving as 2 cookies, which is just about perfect!
The Recipe - How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 18 ounces peanut butter, creamy or chunky either one
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped peanuts (optional)
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preaheat oven to 350F. Grease lightly or line with parchment paper or Silpat a couple of baking sheets.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Add the eggs and the egg yolk one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you work. Stir in vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in peanut butter.
- In a separate bowl, sift or whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix into peanut butter mixture, stirring just until fully combined. Stir in peanuts.
- With a tablespoon or small disher or cookie scoop, scoop out 1 inch balls and roll until rounded. Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a fork to make the crosshatch marks. Bake for 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until turning golden. Do not over-bake!
- All the cookies to cool for about 60 seconds on the cookie sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. This lets the hot cookies set a bit, and ensures they'll stay nice and round when you move them to the wire rack.
Start with Creaming the Butter and Sugar
Use Both Brown and White Sugar
Eggs Plus Egg White
Plain Old All Purpose Flour
Use a Disher or Cookie Scoop
Crosshatch the Tops
Transfer to Wire Racks to Cool
How to Make Your Own Vanilla Extract
How to Separate an Egg
© 2011 Jan Charles