How to make Idly Milagai Podi or Spiced chutney powder South Indian Tamilnadu or Madras Style Recipe
Idly Milagai Podi or Spiced Chutney powder is a South Indian side dish recipe. It goes well, when mixed with Gingelly oil or coconut oil. This powder can be preserved for long period. Much suitable for Idli and Dosa varieties.
South Indian Bachelors will love to have this handy for their breakfast or dinner to avoid waste of time in cooking a side dish.
Let us take a look at health benefits of Bengal gram.
Benefits taken from Source URL: http://soultemplenet.org/profiles/blogs/bengal-gram-a-store-house-of
Health benefits of Bengal gram:
- Soak Bengal gram in water (for a day in summer & 2day in winter) strain & cover in a wet clothe by making a bundle and hang it for two days. When they are sprouted, add some grated ginger, little rock salt, black pepper powder and sprinkle some lemon juice on it, take it as breakfast. This is very rich in vitamin "C" and gives strength & energy to the entire body.
Taking chutneys of green Bengal grams strengthens bones and muscles of the body
Eating whole Bengal gram (soaked over night) in the morning with cumin seeds & dry ginger powder sprinkled on it and also drinking the water (in which the Bengal gram was soaked) eliminates constipation.
1. Eating roasted Bengal gram, then taking a cup of milk before going to bed eliminates the phlegm And clears the wind ripe.
- Inhaling the aroma of roasted Bengal gram, stops running nose.
- Eating the rotis of Bengal gram (hand made bread) flour mixed with little bishop's weed seeds; asafotida powder & black pepper powder cooked on slow fire with thin lentil gravy helps in curing chronic cold.
- Taking whole Bengal gram soaked in water overnight with honey helps in breaking the stones in gal bladder, kidney and throwing them out
- Drinking the water of black Bengal gram and whole wheat which have been soaked overnight and boiled in the morning is also very useful.
- Eating roties (hand made bread) of Bengal gram flour and wheat flour regularly is useful in dissolving & throwing out the stones.
Idly Powder South Indian Madras Style Recipe
- 5 table spoon Roasted Bengal Gram dal
- 2 table spoon Bengal gram dal
- 2 table spoon Urad dal
- 2 table spoon Toor dal
- 3 table spoon Ground nut
- 1 table spoon Pepper
- 1 table spoon Cumin seeds
- 10 table spoon Curry leaves
- 1 table spoon Asafoetida powder
- 8-10 Red chilies
- 3 table spoon Salt
- 2 table spoon Rice
- 3 table spoon Horse gram
- Given ingredients (Roasted Bengal Gram dal, Bengal gram dal, Urad dal, Toor dal, Ground nuts, Pepper, Cumin seeds, Curry leaves, Asafoetida powder, Red chilies, Salt, Rice and Horse gram) are put inside the dry frying pan.
- You would get a nice frying smell.
- Fry the ingredients till they become golden brown. This process would continue for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wait till fried ingredients temperate gets reduced completely. Grind the ingredients in a mixer.
- Grinded ingredients can be preserved in a air tight container. Idly milagai podi can be served with oil for Idly and Dosa varieties.