- Food and Cooking
How do you like your eggs? Scrambled? Over-easy? Hard-boiled? What about in oatmeal or with apples? Eggs provide 13 essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are considered one of the best sources for protein, which can help you build muscle and increase your metabolism. And a dozen of eggs cost less than $2, making it a cheap item. But sometimes eating eggs the same way can get boring.
Just adding different foods to eggs can mix it up as well. Try adding a new vegetable with it, like basil or spinach. Different cheeses also go well with eggs. Hard-boiled eggs can be mixed into pasta, salads, sandwiches, or use different spices on them. I've provided some recipes that are quick, easy and healthy.
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup instant oatmeal
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1/2 apple, diced
1. Beat the egg and milk into a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Stir in the oatmeal.
3. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes, until egg is set and milk is absorbed. Top with yogurt and apples.
Nutritional Information: 310 calories, 8 g fat, 20 g protein
Creamy Egg Pasta
1 pkg. whole wheat shell pasta, cooked
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
2 cups broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, chopped
1. Combine pasta, cottage cheese and vegetables in a skillet.
2. Cook over medium heat until mixture is heated through, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Make 4 spaces into the mixture with the back of your spoon.
4. Break the eggs into each space. Cook over medium heat until whites are set and yolks thicken, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Nutritional Information: 380 calories, 8 g fat, 31 g protein
1 cup reduced ricotta cheese
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 TB applesauce
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Beat all ingredients together until well blended.
2. Cook until golden brown, on a griddle over medium heat.
3. Serve with sliced bananas, yogurt, chopped nuts, peanut butter, preserves or fruit.
Nutritional Information (without the toppings): 200 calories, 10 g fat, 18 g protein
1/2 cup milk
salt & pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1. Pre-heat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Beat eggs, milk, salt & pepper until blended.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Divide into 12 greased muffin cups
5. Bake for about 20 minutes
Nutritional Information: 175 calories, 9 g fat, 12 g protein