- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Indonesian Beef Spare Rib Soup Recipe (Palu Konro/Sop Konro)
Palu konro or sop konro is traditional soup from Makasar, Sulawesi (Celebes). It is beef spare rib soup with black broth. The broth is seasoned with spices and special kluwek (kluwak) nut (black nut or seed from Kepayang tree/Pangidum Edule). The hard-shelled seeds of Pangidum Edule give special distinct flavor and black color to the soup. The seeds are meaty, oily, soft with earthy flavor.
Kluwak/kluwek nut is available in some Asian supermarket. Unfortunately, this kluwek nut is not replaceable with other spices or ingredients. Commercial kluwak nut is edible. It has been processed to remove the poisonous hydrocyanic acid.
If you love rich, spicy, meaty and fatty soup, this spare rib soup is a must to try. Here is how to make sop konro. I use pressure cooker to make very flavorful beef broth and tender spare rib.
What You Need
2 lbs beef spare rib
1 piece galangal (2-inches), sliced
2 daun salam (Indonesian bay leaves)
3 lemongrass, cut into 3, bruised
1 cinnamon stick (1-inch)
5 kaffir lime leaves
5 whole clove
1 tbsp tamarind paste
2 1/2 quarts water
3 tbsp cooking oil
fried shallot flakes (garnish)
3 cloves garlic
5 Asian shallot
5 pcs kluwek, cracked and peeled, soaked in hot water
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp coriander powder
How to Fix
- Put the spare rib in a pressure cooker. Add water to cover. Uncover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil the spare rib for 5 minutes. Then dump the water and spare rib into the sink. Clean and scrap the pressure cooker from any residue. Rinse the spare rib under running water. Drain.
- Put 2 1/2 quarts of fresh water, spare rib, lemongrass, cinnamon, clove, galangal, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves into the pressure cooker. Cover and cook under high pressure for about 40 minutes or until the spare rib is tender. Lower the heat to simmer. Skim off any scum and fat.
- Process garlic, shallot, kluwek, black pepper, salt and coriander powder in the food processor into a fine paste.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add 3 tablespoon of cooking oil and spice paste. Stir-fry about 2 minutes or until the aromatics are fragrant.
- Transfer the stir-fried spice paste into the broth. Add tamarind paste. Simmer the broth for about 5 - 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the flavors, add salt and or black pepper if necessary. Remove from the heat.
- Ladle the beef spare rib and broth into serving bowl. Garnish with fried shallot flakes. Serve hot with steamed rice and hot chili sauce.
More Indonesian Recipes
- Indonesian Deep Fried Stuffed Tofu Recipe (Tahu Isi)
- Indonesian Shrimp And Vegetable Fritters Recipe (Bakwan Sayur Udang)
- Indonesian Stir-Fried Noodles Recipe (Mie Goreng)
- How To Make Bandung Beef Soup (Soto Bandung)
- Indonesian Grilled Fish Cake Recipe (Otak-Otak)
- Indonesian Oxtain Soup Recipe (Sop Buntut)