- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian Style Ice Cream!
Es Puter Kelapa/Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Hot, sunny and humid days in equator will burden us with sweat on body especially forehead. Sometime water just is not enough to cool this hot pressure down. We need more than water to stop dehydration process. Find es puter cart or vendor nearby, mostly they found in the afternoon. Es puter means "stirred ice cream", traditional Indonesian ice cream made from coconut milk, coconut flesh and sugar. As I remember this es puter also called es nong-nong since the jingle from ice cream cart or bike make special glee sound "nong..nong..nong".
If you are looking for dairy free ice cream recipe, you may like this es puter. It's very easy to make and just need very few ingredients: sugar, coconut milk, coconut flesh and Pandanus leaves. Serve this coconut ice cream in a bowl or cone or as ice cream sandwich Indonesian style. Sprinkle with some roasted peanut, chocolate sprinkles, or black glutinous rice (steamed) or tapai (fermented cassava), nangka (jackfruits), avocado, durian, red beans or strawberry or your favorite fruits. This traditional ice cream is very tasty and easy to fix at home. Give it a try to you will appreciate on how delicious it is. The big flavors of coconut and coconut milk will satisfy your thirst and thrill your tounge. Enjoy.
What You Need to Fix Es Puter
2 1/2 cup fresh coconut milk or canned
a pinch of salt
3 tbsp corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
2 daun pandan (Pandanus leaves or screw pines leaves)
1/2 lbs young coconut flesh, fresh or frozen
How to Fix Es Puter Kelapa
- In a saucepan, combine salt, sugar, coconut milk, corn syrup, and Pandanus leaves and heat them over medium heat. Stir and cook until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat. Set aside to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
- Before freezing them in the ice maker, stir and whisk to reblend the mixture. Remove and discard Pandanus leaves then add young coconut flesh. Freeze them in an ice cream maker by following the manufacturer's instructions
More Indonesian Recipes
- Easy Pisang Bakar - Indonesian Grilled Banana Sundae Recipe. How to Make Simple Grilled Banana!
Good hot summer weather brings abundance of fresh fruits. Bringing back my childhood memories, We use to eat countless varieties of tropical fruits such as banana, mango, durian, etc. Mostly we consume it...
- Easy Indonesian Jus Alpukat - Avocado Shake Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Shake!
Being grew-up in Indonesia, We use to serve avocado as fruit desserts, or other varieties desserts such as es teler (drunken fruits ice) and jus alpukat. Avocado as sweet desserts?. It sounds bizarre, isn't...
Are you looking for easy appetizer or snack recipe ? I think I have one that you may like. If you like corn and fritters then you may like bakwan jagung or some people call it as perkedel jagung. This term...
- Quick and Easy Indonesian Tumis Kangkung - Morning Glory Stir Fried Recipe
Kangkung or morning glory (Ipomoea aquatica) also known as water spinach and water convolvulus or swamp cabbage is a popular greens in East and Southeast Asia. This leafy green consider as poor's man dish...