Easy And Quick Indonesian Fried Pastry With Ground Beef Fillings Recipe (Martabak Telor)
Martabak telor/telur or sometime it is called as martabak asin (savory murtabak) is popular Muslim pastry in Southeast Asia. It's widely available in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei and Thailand. Martabak traces it's origins to Middle East cuisine specifically Yemen. The word of martabak is derived from "mutabbaq" (Arabic). It means folded. Street hawkers offer variety of fillings such as mutton and beef. It is usually eaten with pickled cucumber and fresh chili. Some folks love to eat it with curry.
Indonesian version of savory martabak is less spicy than Malaysian since Indonesian tend to downplay the usage of curry powder in the filling ingredients. The wrapper/pastry is made of flour mixed with oil or ghee. Then the dough is soaked in oil for about 1 hour to make it smooth and elastic. To stretch the dough into transparent, elastic film and paper thin pastry, the cook must beat, toss, slap, spin and stretch it by hand. The paper thin pastry is laid on the griddle and the egg mixture is poured over it. While being pan-fried, the pastry is folded to shape a rectangular wrap.
It sounds interesting but also complicated. Yes, making martabak is an art. Here is easy and quick martabak telor recipe. This recipe is using frozen spring rolls wrapper instead of making it fresh from scratch.
What You Need
2 duck eggs
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
1 cup ground beef
1 cup chopped spring onions
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
2 sheet of fresh spring roll wrapper (8 x 8-inches)
4 tbsp ghee or butter
How to Fix
- Heat a skillet over high heat. When hot add 2 tablespoon of gee and onion. Stir-fry about 1 minutes or until fragrant. Then add the ground beef. Stir-fry about 1 - 2 minutes or until almost done. Transfer to a plate.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg, spring onions, cabbage, salt, pepper and cooked ground beef. Stir to mix.
- Heat a griddle over high heat. Then melt 1 tablespoon of ghee. Lower the heat to medium-high. Put one sheet of the fresh spring roll wrapper and fry it until lightly brown.
- Pour the beef mixture on the spring roll wrapper. Use a spatula to spread the mixture out. Fry about 1 -2 minutes or until the mixture is halfway cooked. Cover the mixture with remaining spring rolls wrapper.
- Spread one tablespoon of ghee on the top of the spring rolls wrapper. Then use a spatula to flip over the pastry. Continue to fry for another 1 or 2 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Cut it into serving pieces. Transfer to serving platter. Garnish with pickled cucumber and fresh red hot chili. Enjoy it warm with hot chili sauce.
More Indonesian Recipes
- Sundanese Raw Vegetable Salad With Spicy Peanut Sauce Recipe (Karedok)
- Indonesian Shrimp And Vegetable Fritters Recipe (Bakwan Sayur Udang)
- Indonesian Stir-Fried Noodles Recipe (Mie Goreng)
- How To Make Bandung Beef Soup (Soto Bandung)
- Indonesian Oxtain Soup Recipe (Sop Buntut)
- Indonesian Grilled Fish Cake Recipe (Otak-Otak)