- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Indonesian Pangsit Goreng - Fried Wonton Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Fried Wonton!
Pangsit Goreng or Fried Wonton
Pangsit goreng or fried wonton is one my favorite comfort food. In matter of fact, wonton is my top favorite foods, either it is in soup, deep fried, bake or boiled or steamed. This Asian style of dumpling is very versatile.
Commonly, wonton is served as companion of mie ayam (dried chicken noodle with soup) or mie bakso (noodle soup with meat balls). But this dumpling also can be served as snack or finger foods. Most popular deep fried wonton in Indonesia is pangsit goreng Gajah Mada from Bakmi Gajah Mada, a popular noodle restaurant in Jakarta. This crunchy and savory fried wonton is an icon in Jakarta or Indonesia culinary world. Various meat can be used for filling such as chicken, shrimps, pork and fish.
Here is simple recipe of pangsit goreng. Easy to make and delicious. You just need few minutes to transform simple decent ingredients into a to-die-for appetizer or snack or party food. You will not able to forget the crunch..crunch..crunch glee sound and it will tease your tongue to no limits.
What You Need for Fixing Fried Wonton
1/3 lbs ground chicken
1/4 lbs chopped peeled shrimp
1 scallions, finely chopped
1 garlic, finely minced
a pinch of black pepper
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
a pinch of sugar
a pack wonton wrapper
canola oil for deep frying
sweet and sour sauce for dipping
How to Fix Pangsit Goreng
- In a small mixing bowl, combine shrimp, ground chicken, scallions, garlic, black pepper, cornstarch, salt, and sugar. Mix it will. Set aside.
- On a work surface or cutting board, line up about 5 wonton wrappers. Place 1 tsp of filling in the center of wonton wrapper. Get a pastry brush and dip it in water. Then, lightly brush the edge of wonton wrappers. Pick up a corner of wonton wrapper and fold it over and enclose the filling. The wonton will look like a small triangle puff. Make sure that the edges are well closed or sealed. Place in on a plate. Repeat this step until the filling is used up. You can watch video link below about how to fold wonton. I prefer simple triangle puff shaped wonton.
- Prepare a wire rack on a baking sheets. In a wok or pot, pour oil to a depth of about 2 inches and heat it over medium-heat to 350 F. To check if the oil is ready, dip a bamboo chopstick in the oil if some small bubbles gather on the surface around the stick then it is ready.
- Add about 5 wontons into the hot oil at a time. Turning them once and fry about 2 minutes on each side or until they are crisp and golden brown. Remove from the heat and put it on the wire rack to drain.
- Place wontons on the serving platters. Serve it warm with sweet and sour dipping sauce or your favorite sauce.
More Indonesian Recipes
- Easy Pisang Bakar - Indonesian Grilled Banana Sundae Recipe. How to Make Simple Grilled Banana!
Good hot summer weather brings abundance of fresh fruits. Bringing back my childhood memories, We use to eat countless varieties of tropical fruits such as banana, mango, durian, etc. Mostly we consume it...
- Easy Indonesian Jus Alpukat - Avocado Shake Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Shake!
Being grew-up in Indonesia, We use to serve avocado as fruit desserts, or other varieties desserts such as es teler (drunken fruits ice) and jus alpukat. Avocado as sweet desserts?. It sounds bizarre, isn't...
Are you looking for easy appetizer or snack recipe ? I think I have one that you may like. If you like corn and fritters then you may like bakwan jagung or some people call it as perkedel jagung. This term...
- Quick and Easy Indonesian Tumis Kangkung - Morning Glory Stir Fried Recipe
Kangkung or morning glory (Ipomoea aquatica) also known as water spinach and water convolvulus or swamp cabbage is a popular greens in East and Southeast Asia. This leafy green consider as poor's man dish...
- Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian
Hot, sunny and humid days in equator will burden us with sweat on body especially forehead. Sometime water just is not enough to cool this hot pressure down. We need more than water to stop dehydration...