Indore's Special Shahi Shikanji Recipe
Indore's Famous Shahi Shikanji
Shikanji is made with lemon juice and water but Indore's famous shahi shikanji is unique in that it is made with thickened milk, hung curd, saffron and cardamom powder. It is a delicious, thick and creamy preparation a perfect foil for the strength-sapping summer heat.
A very popular and traditional drink of the state of Madhya Pradesh, there is another version of this shahi shikanji which is prepared with dried nuts like almonds, cashews, and pistachios, rabri, nutmeg, mace, and saffron.
This drink is healthy too as it is prepared with natural ingredients, for instance, milk, and yogurt, which is a dairy product as well. If you wish to learn about the many health benefits of milk please read my article.
An excellent thirst quencher and body coolant this shahi shikanji is best served absolutely chilled but do not add ice cubes to chill it as it will dilute not only the beverage but the taste as well.
- 1 liter full cream milk, raw
- 1 cup full fat dahi/yogurt
- a large pinch kesar/saffron
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom, ground
- 5-6 pistachios, skinned and sliced
- 5 tbsp sugar, ground
- Make the hung curd first. Place a sieve with a muslin cloth in it over a bowl and put the dahi in it. Cover with the hanging muslin ends and then with a lid. Place it in the fridge for 2 hours to remove the excess water
- Now heat milk till it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add the saffron, ground cardamom, and ground sugar. Keep stirring till the milk reduces to half. Keep scraping the cream from the sides into the milk regularly
- Cover with a wire mesh and let it cool completely then keep in the fridge to chill
- Remove the cold rabri and the hung curd and blend in a blender
- Transfer to tall glasses and garnish with the sliced pistachios and a few saffron strands
- Serve chilled
Indore Special Shahi Shikanji Recipe
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly