- Food and Cooking
Irish Rusty Nuts
- 6 medium Potatoes, Chopped
- 6 Bacon, Cooked and Diced
- 2 cups Pepper Jack Cheese, Grated
- 1 cup Jalapenos, Chopped
- 1 small Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cups Breadcrumbs
- 3 Cups Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Melted
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Chipotle Mayo
- Peel and cut up potatoes and add to boiling water until soft enough to mash. While potatoes are boiling, cook bacon slices until crispy. Once the potatoes are soft, add butter and milk to make mashed potatoes.
- Put mashed potatoes into a large bowl and stir in cooked, diced bacon, shredded cheese, jalapenos, and onion.
- Crack eggs into a separate bowl and stir up, spread breadcrumbs out onto a flat, clean surface.
- Roll the mashed potato mixture up into a small balls, about an inch and a half in diameter.
- Dip the rolled up ball into the egg and roll in the breadcrumb mixture until completely coated.
- Cook in oil at about 350 degrees for 6 minutes. Depending on the size of your pot, I usually only cook a few at a time, since they don't take long.
- Take out of oil and place on a plate with a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Enjoy Rusty Nuts with Ranch Dressing or Chipotle Mayonnaise.
A little spice and a whole lot of taste.
Rusty nuts are a favorite of mine, this picture shows how they will look after fried for a few minutes. The pepper jack cheese and jalapenos give just the right bit of spice. Serve as an appetizer or a side dish. They also go great with your favorite beer!