Island Bites: Arroz con cebolla y tocineta (Rice with Onions and Bacon)
Arroz con cebolla has become a very popular side dish in Puerto Rico. This rice recipe is simple and easy to prepare, yet really flavorful. Its basic ingredients are rice, beef broth, bacon and onions. Some people even omit the bacon. I always add some extras to my rice to make it special.
- Saute bacon in a large pot for about 3 to 4 minutes at medium-low temperature. Add onions and red pepper flakes, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add bell pepper and garlic powder. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes. Add white wine, mix well and let it reduce, for 2 minutes.
- Combine beef broth and water, to make 3 cups of liquid. (If you use long grain rice, you should use broth and water to make 4 cups). Add liquid to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat up. Let it come to a boil.
- Add rice. Let liquid reduce for about 2 or 3 minutes. Stir, reduce temperature to low. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Stir before serving.
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cans beef broth (or consome)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 strips bacon, chopped (You could use smoked ham)
- 1/4 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- a pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 or 2 ounces white wine, (optional)
- salt & pepper
Recipes you may like:
- Island Bites: Arroz con gandules (Puerto Rican pigeon peas rice)
Pigeon peas rice is a staple in Puerto Rico. During the Holidays, it is the official dish, alongside lechón asado (roasted pork).
- Island Bites: Ropa Vieja (Caribbean Shredded Beef Stew)
Ropa Vieja is a popular dish of the Caribbean and the Canary Islands. The name "ropa vieja" means old clothes. It is a shredded beef stew in a tomato and peppers sauce.
- Island Bites: Arroz con espinacas y almendras (Spinach Rice with Almonds)
Quick and easy healthy dish. It is a great vegetarian recipe too.
- Island Bites: Arroz Relleno Cremoso (Creamy Rice Casserole)
This baked rice dish is traditional in Puerto Rican cuisine.
- Island Bites: Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken & Coconut Rice
An exotic twist to a classic combination.