Island Bites: Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
What is Dulce de leche?
Dulce de leche (milk candy) is a popular Latin-american caramel-like sauce. This delicious concotion is also known as manjar and arequipe. It is made by slowly caramelizing sweetened milk until it produces a dark, thick and creamy spread.
Easy Dulce de leche
There are different ways to make dulce de leche. You can simmer milk, sugar, vanilla and baking soda. But, you'll need to constantly stir for 2 to 3 hours.
There is an easier way to make it. You'll need just a can of sweetened condensed milk.
Easier ways to make Dulce de leche:
- Remove the label of a can of sweetened condensed milk. Poke two holes on top of the can. Place the can in a saucepan and fill it with water 3/4 of the way up the side of the can. Let it simmer for 3 1/2 hours. Check every half hour, on the water level, Add more as needed.
- Pour a can of condensed milk into a sauce pan. Cook at low heat, stirring constantly until desired consistency.
Pour a can of condensed milk into an oven-proof pan; and sprinkle with some salt. Cover it with foil. Place in a larger pan and fill it 3/4 up with water to create a water bath. Bake at 425 degrees F for 60-90 minutes. Check every half hour, on the water level, Add more as needed.
- Beat the butter for 3 to 4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat thoroughly after each addition. Add oil.
- Start adding the flour mixture half cup at a time, and alternate with the milk; ending with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Fill the cupcakes liners about 1/2 full. Bake at 350 for 13 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
- Fill the cupcakes with cooled Dulce de leche. Decorate with your favorite frosting.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING: Beat the shortening and butter together until well combined. Add the dulce de leche and sugar and beat for about 3 to 5 more minutes until frosting is light and fluffy. You could add milk if you want a softer consistency.
Classic Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup self rising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
Dulce de leche Frosting
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 stick vegetable shortening
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 or 2 tbs milk (if necessary)
Cupcake decorating tips:
- Island Bites: Halloween Cupcakes (recipes and decorating ideas)
Cupcakes are a great way to celebrate any occasion. This time, we are going to dress them up to spook everybody. Let's make some Halloween cupcakes!
- Island Bites: How to make professional looking cupcakes
You love the picture perfect cupcakes you buy at a shop, but every time you make them at home the result is not even close. What are you doing wrong?
Recipes you may like:
- Island Bites: Almond Mini Cheesecakes
This recipe adds a nutty twist to a classic dessert. It is a delicious treat for cheesecake lovers.
- Island Bites: Vanilla Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream
This recipe is perfect for nutella lovers. The cupcakes are light and fluffy and filled with delicious nutella. But that's not all. The cupcakes are frosted with a creamy nutella buttercream.
- Island Bites: White Chocolate & Strawberry Cupcakes
Moist and fluffy white chocolate cake with a fresh strawberry frosting. A delicious treat for this classic combination fans!
- Island Bites: Almond Cupcakes
Light and fluffy almond cupcakes recipe.
- Island Bites: Coconut Cupcakes
Light and fluffy coconut cupcakes recipe.