Island Bites: Empanadas de Yuca (Cassava Fritters)
- 1 lb cassava, grated
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cubanelle pepper, chopped
- 1/2 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 oz tomato sauce/puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 packet sazon Goya
- olives, chopped (optional)
- You could use frozen grated cassava. Just let it thaw and remove excess liquid.
- Remove excess liquid from the grated cassava. Mix sazon and 2 tbs oil, then add to the grated cassava. Add 1 tsp salt and mix well. Fried a little dough so you can add salt to the rest of the dough if necessary.
- Brown ground beef in a couple tablespoons of oil. Add onions, peppers, garlic. Saute at medium temperature for 2 or 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, herbs and spices, olives and salt. Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Put about 2 inches of oil in a large pot. Heat at medium temperature.
- Smear a little oil in a large piece of aluminum paper. Spread about 1/4 cup of the empanada dough onto the aluminum paper. Place a tablespoon of the meat filling in the middle.Fold over one side of the foil to cover the meat. Press to seal ends. Peel away the foil and use the help of a spoon to slide the dough gently into the hot oil.
- Cook for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel or cooling rack.