- Food and Cooking
Brown Sugar Biscuits
White Lily Flour Makes the Best Biscuits
Until just recently, I had never heard of brown sugar biscuits. My husband ate them when he was a little boy. My favorite recipe for homemade biscuits is made with White Lily flour. It was what I was raised with so I tend to use this flour when I bake. So these brown sugar biscuits we had for breakfast help us both to remember happy times we had growing up.
Nutrition Information Based on Plain Biscuit Without Butter or Brown Sugar
|Serving size: 1 biscuit|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 17 g||6%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 368 mg||15%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily All-purpose Flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup buttermilk, or can use sweet milk
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: up to a dozen biscuits depending on the size
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together. Cut in shortening with the dry ingredients until texture is crumbly. Stir in buttermilk. Mix well. You can roll these out and cut them or you can make drop biscuits by just dropping the dough from the spoon onto the pan.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in a 500 ° oven.
- Slice the biscuits in half almost as soon as they come out of the oven. Spread with butter and then put a small spoonful of brown sugar on top of the butter. Spread it out, making a thin layer. Let sit a few minutes to give the butter and brown sugar time to melt. It is scrumptious. The taste is hard to describe. It is full and rich, almost like honey and almost like caramel. It is so good, especially when the butter mixed with brown sugar starts to drip down your chin.
Brown Sugar Biscuits on a Saturday Morning
It is Saturday morning and
We have slept late enough for it to be delicious.
My husband slips out of bed
To turn the oven on
As I play with our dog
Who is now on my chest wanting attention.
I get out of bed and
We look at pictures of unlikely animal pairs on the internet.
So cute and sweet.
What a nice way to start our morning
As the biscuits start to bake.
We snuggle and cuddle under the blanket on our couch
Enjoying the closeness of together.
We converse and reconnect over the previous week.
He wants to eat brown sugar biscuits this morning like his daddy used to make.