- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken Marsala Recipe
This elegant, delicious dish is simple to prepare and sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. An Italian dish it consists of juicy chicken breasts covered in a thick Marsala Wine and Mushroom Sauce. I've even included some tips for you to spice up this dish even more.
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 3/4 cup Marsala Wine (sweet or dry)
- 3/4 cup Beef or Veal broth
- 1 cup Butter
- Pound the chicken breasts to a 1/4 inch thickness between 2 pieces of waxed paper and pat dry.
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Add chicken and coat. Shake gently to remove excess flour.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add enough oil to coat the bottom and let come to temperature. Cook the chicken breast 7-10 minutes (or until done) turning once til they are golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and hold warm on a covered plate or in a 200 degree oven.
- Add the sliced mushroom and saute scraping the sides of the pan. (about 4 minutes)
- Add the garlic and saute one minute longer
- Add the Marsala wine to deglaze the pan, then add the beef or veal stock and allow to reduce by half.
- Stir in the butter one tablespoon at a time until melted and well blended.
- Finish by spooning the sauce over your prepared chicken.
Tips and Tricks
- Instead of pounding your chicken breasts thin, cut into 1/4 inch medallions
- Add diced tomatoes or basil (or other fresh herbs) when you add the stock for a tasty tang
- Serve your chicken over linguine noodles
- Garnish with fresh herbs or fresh grated cheese
- For a creamy sauce reduce the amount of stock by half and add 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1/4 cup milk
- Marsala Wine
Marsala Wine derives it's name from the city of Marsala on the sun drenched island of Sicily where the wine is traditionally made. With an alcohol content of 17-20%, Marsala is the most popular of Italy's fortified wines.
- Madeira Wine
Madeira Wine is a Portuguese fortified white wine that is produced on the island of Madeira. Madeira is available in several dry or sweet varieties.