- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Italian Easter Pizza
Sometimes called Italian Ham Pie or Pizza Canna, this is one of those must have dishes for Easter in the Italian families. Not all Italian regions made this; mostly the Napolitano's and Perugino's. My mother didn't make this, I got this recipe from a very good friend of mine. She brought this over to my grandmother's house when my grandmother died in 1995. I just had to have this recipe and I have been making it since then.
Most people make this to be eaten on Easter Sunday, which is what I did every other year, but this year I decided to make it the week before because with all the other food on Easter Sunday, it was hard to eat this. You have to be hungry, it's a hearty dish.
It's really a deep dish pizza with crust all around. There are several types of cheese, a lot of eggs and two different kinds of ham, cut in chunks and found like little pearls when you cut into it. Mangiare buono!
There are a lot of different versions of this Easter Pizza, but this is the one I use because it's the one my family likes the best.
Progressive Photos for Easter Pizza
Can You Cut This Recipe In Half?
- This recipe may look too much for some of you, so you can certainly cut the ingredients in half and make a smaller version of it.
Are There Shortcuts?
- Yes, you can always buy the refrigerated store bought crust that you only have to roll out. It will make it a lot easier if you don't like or want to make the crust in the recipe.
- Also you can buy the cheeses and hams already cut into cubes in the refrigerated cheese sections in the grocery store.
Tips for the crust.
I have mentioned this in a previous hub, but it's worth repeating:
- When making any pie crust, handle the dough as little as possible with your hands. The heat from your hands will melt the fat in the dough. It's the fat in the dough that makes a very flaky crust.
- Also keep the lard or butter, in this case it was Crisco, cold.
- Mixt it with a pastry blender or a large fork, gathering it together with your hands after the crust ingredients are all blended.
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUST
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup Crisco, cold
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
- 1 lb. ham, cut into cubes
- 1 lb. black ham capacola, cut into cubes
- 1 lb. muenster cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 lb. brick cheese, cut into cubes
- 12 eggs, scrambled with a wire whisk
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- To taste black pepper
- For crust: Mix eggs and water
- In a large bowl, blend with pastry blender flour, salt, baking powder and Crisco. Add egg ;mixture to flour mixture.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Using flour on your surface and rolling pin; roll out dough leaving some for the top and line the cake pan.
- For Filling: Layer ham and cheese in crust.
- Mix together the 12 eggs, ricotta cheese, grated cheese and pepper. pour liquid over ham and cheese.
- Using flour dusted on your surface and the rolling pin; roll our top crust and roll it out onto the pie. Seal the edges by rolling them together. Cut off the edges that are too much. Brush the whole top of the crust with an egg wash of 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown.