- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Pasta Recipes
Italian Lasagna, Grandma's recipe
Comfort food to fill the senses!
This meal originated out of the kitchen of an amazing cook......my Mom. Now a Great Grandmother she devised it by trial and error and now it's the most popular meal at any family gathering. This does not cut back on anything. Nothing tastes better then the full Italian flavor of a rich meat sauce and 3 heavenly cheeses all melded together for an extraordinary dining experience.
You'll never try a tastier Lasagna!
Ingredients you will need
- 1 lb hamburger, low fat content
- 1/4 c yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp fresh garlic, garlic in jar ok as well
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp parsley, fresh or dried
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oregano, leaves (not ground)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes, large can
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 12 oz Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 16 oz Ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 box lasagna noodles
Preparing you meat sauce
Set up sauce and cheeses for easy assembly
First the meat sauce, then the assembly
- Fry hamburger over medium heat. Add chopped onion while hamburger is cooking. In large 8 quart cooking pot start water to boil the noodles. Once hamburger is browned, add garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, parsley, sugar, crushed tomato, and tomato sauce. Cover and let simmer on low for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Once water is boiling add 10 large lasagna noodles and cook as directed. You will need 3 per row and 1 for the pot, (in case one of the noodles is damaged you'll have an extra). If all noodles come out fine, add the extra noodle to the bottom for a firmer base. Once cooked, drain noodles and run cold water over them. This will stop the cooking process and make it easy for you to handle. Set up meat sauce, and the 3 cheeses for easy assembly. Start by spreading just a small amount of the meat sauce liquid on the bottom a 9x13 pan, (Pyrex works really well). This is to avoid any sticking. Now lay 3 noodles next to each other, spread a third of meat mixture on top of them, add a third of each of the cheeses next. Repeat this sequence 3 times. Place in preheated 350 degree oven, uncovered for 1 hr. If your oven tends to run hot, check after 55 min. When you see the edges turning a dark brown it should be done. Let stand for 5 minutes for easier cutting and enjoy!