- Food and Cooking
Italian Meal and Recipes
Ziti is a delicious Italian dish; it would be great for a big family or a dinner party. A romaine salad tossed with apples, cranberries, walnuts and poppy-seed dressing would be delightful, toss in some chopped walnuts. For bread, you could choose a garlic or Focaccia bread.
Hope you enjoy this scrumptious Italian meal I have planned for you! Happy cooking!
Baked Ziti Recipe
Ingredients for Ziti
- 3 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 16-ounces ziti pasta, uncooked
- cooking spray
Instructions for Making Ziti
- Fix the ziti according to the package directions; drain.
- Combine in a large bowl; cooked ziti, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, parsley, egg, garlic powder, oregano, ricotta cheese and black pepper.
- Spray a 9-inch x 13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Pour into the pan 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce; top with ziti mixture, spreading evenly over the sauce.
- Top with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of the spaghetti sauce, spreading evenly; sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and top with 1 cup of the mozzarella.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Ingredients for 12 servings
Video Recipe Making Italian Calzones
Romaine Apple Walnut Cranberry Salad Recipe
I ate a salad like this at a lady's luncheon one time and this is my take on this delicious salad. I really like a raspberry vinaigrette dressing or a raspberry balsamic vinaigrette on mine! I am not a poppy-seed dressing lover.
A great side to any meal with this refreshing salad with romaine lettuce, apples, walnuts, and cranberries. You could add ingredients you like and delete the one you do not. You could add a meat such as chicken and make this into a meal. Maybe not so Italian, but delicious.
Ingredients for Salad
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup apple, about 1 medium apple, with peel, diced
- ½ cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup poppy seed dressing, store-bought or homemade
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
Instructions for Making Salad
- In a large glass bowl tear the lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- Add the apples, cranberries, and walnuts.
- Top with the poppy seed dressing and toss.
- Ingredients for 6 servings.
Tip From Margie Lynn
- Any type of nut you prefer may be used.
All Lettuce is not Created Equal, Eat More Romaine Lettuce!
We always eat romaine lettuce when It is available. Our local grocer does not always have it; yes, we live in a small rural town. I didn't realize that it was loaded with vitamin K, vitamin A, and folate.
Romaine Lettuce Facts
- Romaine Lettuce
- Raw 2 cups
- 94 grams
- 16 calories
- High in:
- Vitamin K 107%
- A 45%
- Folate 32% and more!
Rosemary Garlic Focaccia Bread Recipe
Focaccia bread is an Italian recipe but is delicious served with any meal or as an appetizer dipped into the herb olive oil recipe!
Focaccia doughs are similar in style and texture to pizza doughs. It may be topped with vegetables, cheese, and meat also.
The Focaccia bread dough may be made in the bread machine on the dough cycle. You then take it out and bake in the oven. If you have any leftovers, it freezes well. Make sure you use a good quality of olive oil. You may also use fresh herbs instead of dried one. See conversion rate below.
Ingredients for Focaccia Bread
- 1 cup + 3 Tablespoons water at 80 degrees
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast or 1 1/2 teaspoon bread machine/fast rise Yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons rosemary leaves or chopped
- 1 teaspoons garlic salt
- olive oil, to drizzle
Instructions for Making Focaccia Bread
- Select the dough cycle if using a bread machine; follow the instructions for your bread machine.
- When the cycle is complete; remove the dough from the bread machine and place on a floured surface. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough about one minute then roll it into a rectangle to fit a jelly roll pan or a large cookie sheet with sides.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the pan using the olive oil.
- Put the dough into a pan and press the dough evenly into the pan forming an edge.
- Cover; let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 20-30 minutes until slightly risen.
- Gently make indentations in dough at every inch using the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Brush the dough with olive oil; sprinkle with salt, rosemary leaves, and the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes or until browned. Remove from the oven and drizzle additional olive oil over the top of bread.
- Cool slightly and cut into squares for serving. Best served warm.
Video Recipe for Making Crusty Italian Bread
Do you like Italian Cuisine?
Herb Dipping Oil Recipe
There are many types of dipping oils to choose for dipping your bread. This one is oil base, but there are some that are creamy as well.
It's fun to use a bread bowl as the container for the creamy dipping recipe. I have done this before, and it makes a statement. You pull the inside of the bread out of the middle in bite-size pieces and place around the bowl. Just another way for dipping your bread.
Ingredients for Dipping Oil
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Instructions for Making Dipping Oil
- Mix all of the above ingredients in a small container.
- Just before serving the oil, place four teaspoons of the herb mix in a small microwaveable bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of water, microwave for 10 seconds, if there is any remaining water drain it off.
- Add ½ cup of olive oil and whisk to combine.
- Also, for added flavor add one teaspoon of grated fresh Parmesan cheese before you serve it.
Tip From Margie Lynn
- You may use fresh herbs if you like. For most herbs, 1 teaspoon of the dried herb equals 1 tablespoon of the fresh herb.
© 2018 Margie Lynn