- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
Italian Ricotta Cheese Pie (For Easter) With and Without the Lattice Crust
One of Our Easter Traditions
This is a pie that is very rich and so delicious. An Italian cheese pie made with ricotta cheese and little bites of chocolate with a hint of orange. The lattice crust on top makes it pretty also.
There are a few must in our family for Easter and this is one of them. Hopefully I will have the time to feature them all. Hope you get a chance to enjoy this recipe.
Italian Ricotta Cheese Pie
Ricotta Cheese Pie with Lattice Crust
To Add Lattice Top
This is one of those rear pies that is equally good with or without the top crust. If you make the lattice crust it is really pretty.
I always use the store bought pie crusts that you only have to roll out when brought to room temperature. Just cut the rolled out crust in thick strips. Lay them across the pie leaving the space the width of the strip, then turn the pie and lay the strips the other way, weaving them in and out of each other.
Trim and flute around the edges of the pie. Brush with an egg wash or just milk and sprinkle coarse sugar on top to give it that shiny golden color and extra flavor to the crust.
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chocolate candy bar (good quality), chopped in pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 - 9" pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a 9" pie pan with your favorite pie crust.
- Mix ricotta cheese and sugar. Add the egg and rest of ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared pie pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until pie is set.
- See top for lattice crust.
- A tablespoon of orange liquor can be added to this pie also but reduce the zest to 1 tablespoon.
- You can reduce the orange zest in half in you think it might be too much for you liking.