Recipe for Italian Sausage Lasagna With Roasted Garlic
Variety in a Sausage Recipe
This is an excellent recipe that uses roasted garlic with Italian sweet sausage. However, hot or mild sausage can be substituted, if that is more to your liking.
Any of the sausages you find in the local marketplace can be used with a good result. Sometimes I use a combination of two varieties of sausage for a different flavor.
Occasionally, I use half sausage and half meatballs made from ground chuck or even ground sirloin in the recipe for a slightly different enjoyable flavor.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and serve the dish often.
The name "Lasagna" and "Lasagne” (plural) comes from the original Greek word "Laganon" or λάγανον. This is the first type of pasta known to the discipline of food anthropology. Laganon became pastitsio in Greece, both made from layers of wide, sliced pasta and sauce.
Very Clean Tools and Utensils Required
- A sanitized counter top. To ensure cleanliness in this day of new viral and bacterial diseases, use sanitizing spray or an alternative of little bleach in a gallon of water.
- A large cooking pot for sauce, with a well-fitting lid
- A lasagna pan, either metal or glass and rectangular in a common size of 13 inches by 9 inches and 2 inches high.
- A clean cutting board. Please use a well-washed and dried board that has not be used for chicken or other fowl that may subject diners to salmonella.
- Clean, sharp knives
- A large mixing bowl
- Aluminum foil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), preferably in spray form
Ingredients for Tomato-Garlic Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil [EVOO]
- 1 pound sweet or hot (or a combination) Italian sausages with the casings removed. You may also find bulk sausage at the local market.
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 5 large garlic cloves, roasted and chopped coarse. roast them under your oven broiler until they arrive at the desired done-ness, or on top of an outdoor grill.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1, 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes. The tomatoes can be "Italian style with spices or peppers" or the newer delicious fire-roasted crushed tomatoes that a few stores carry - ask the store manager if you cannot find them.
- 1, 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion (with jalapeno if you like extra-spicy)
- Heat the EVOO in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Next, caramelize the onions.
- Next, add the sausage and spices.
- Sauté the mixture until sausage is cooked through, breaking the sausage into smaller pieces.
- Add crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes with all their juices.
- Bring your cooking pot to a hard boil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add garlic, stir, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, covered.
- Taste-test and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Lasagna Filling and Final Preparation
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 cups Ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chop the fresh basil moderately fine and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add Ricotta, Mozzarella, Parmesan, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything in the bowl together until a mixture is well-blended and still chunky. Do not over mix.
Prepare noodles for the lasagna pan:
- Set aside 12 no-boil lasagna noodles (or boil-able if that is what you have - just boil and drain)
- Measure 3 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
- Measure 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, if you are using a glass pan. A metal pan will need a higher heat by 25 - 50 degrees F.
- Spread 1 1/4 cups sauce in 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking pan.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Drop 1 1/2 cups of the filling over the noodles, then spread evenly.
- Next, sprinkle the top of the filling with 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers of the sauce, noodles, filling, and cheeses; twice more.
- Top with remaining 3 noodles and cover with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Spray large piece of foil with nonstick olive oil spray and cover the lasagna with the foil, sprayed side down.
- Bake the lasagna 40 minutes.
After 40 minutes
- Carefully uncover the pan and increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Bake until the noodles are tender and sauce bubbles, or about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on counter atop a towel to cool.
- Let stand 15 minutes and serve.
Just for Fun
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS