Italian Tomato, Peppers and Basil "Cake"
Tomato, freshly picked from the garden...
Tomato mixture, cooking down...
Hot out of the oven! Sprinkle parmesan over the top, cut and serve!
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
Ready in: 1 hour
Yields: Serves 6-8
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup peppers, whichever you prefer
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk or original flavor almond, coconut or hemp milk
- 3 large brown eggs
- fresh basil, to taste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese (sprinkle more on the top after baking)
- sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Chop 1/2 cup onion, 1 cup of peppers (Whatever you have on hand or prefer. I used peppers from the garden: green bell peppers, banana peppers and miniature sweet red and yellow peppers.) 2 large tomatoes, a palm full of basil, 2 cloves of garlic.
- Heat a skillet medium-high and coat the bottom of the skillet with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add all of the veggies and sautee them until they're soft and yummy looking. Season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste.
- When the veggies are finished, use a slotted serving spoon to scoop the veggies from the skillet into a bowl. The "cake" won't bake well if there's too much liquid, so this step is crucial.
- In a large bowl, beat 3 large brown eggs. Add 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 cup of milk (almond, coconut or hemp works too) and 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Lubricate a 20 cm x 20 cm glass baking pan. Pour the batter into the baking pan. Add the cooked veggies on top and incorporate them into the batter.
- Add 6 tablespoons of parmesan cheese, stir again and pop it into the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes.
- When the top is firm and the sides are golden brown, remove it from the oven. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.