- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Japanese Beef Stew Recipe (Nikujaga)
This is a simple dish of meat (niku) and potato (jaga)cooked in soy sauce. It's a Japanese adaptation of Western stew. Traditionally, nikujaga consist of potatoes and beef slices but sometime ground beef or pork is used instead of sliced beef. Some vegetables such as carrot and snow peas also added to the dish. Unlike the Western stew, nikujaga is lightly seasoned with sake, mirin, soy sauce and little bit of sugar. It's light, low in fat but bold in flavors.
It's believed that nikujaga was created by Imperial Japanese Naval's chef in 1895 as he was ordered to cook a British Navy style of beef stew.
Fixing this Japanese style of beef stew is super easy. The beef is thinly sliced therefor we need less cooking time than regular beef stew. This hearty stew also can be fixed in slow cooker.
What You Need
1 lbs potatoes
1/2 lbs beef or pork, thinly sliced
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp sake
1 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 cup dashi stock or water
1 onion, sliced
- Peel potatoes and cut it into bite size pieces.
- In a medium pot, mix sugar, mirin, soy sauce sake and ginger. Bring it to boil.
- Add sliced onion, beef, potatoes and dashi stock to cover. Bring it to boil and simmer until potatoes and meat are cooked through.
- Simmer in medium low heat until the liquid is reduced, potatoes are tender and infused with soy broth flavor. Serve with steamed rice.
More Japanese Recipes
- Japanese Red Sticky Rice Recipe (Sekihan)
- Easy Japanese Stuffed Mushroom (Shiitake Nikozume) Recipe
How to make Japanese stuffed mushroom. A really tasty finger food.
- Japanese Hot Pot Sukiyaki Recipe
- Japanese Beef Bowl Recipe (Gyudon) - A Quick And Easy Dish