- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Japanese Red Sticky Rice Recipe (Sekihan)
Sekihan is traditional dish from Japan. It's made of glutinous/sticky rice and azuki beans. The ingredients are steamed and served with roasted black sesame seeds. The rice is soft, fluffy and red in color, a symbol of happiness for Japanese. Traditionally, Sekihan is a special occasion dish or festive dish. It's served during celebration of wedding, birthdays and other important holidays and festivals. It is eaten warm or at room temperature.
Fixing Sekihan is pretty easy. You can use a a regular heavy saucepan or rice cooker to cook the rice. If you love sweet Sekihan, you can add 1 tablespoon of sugar to the ingredients. Use Thai sticky rice and not the sushi rice to fix Sekihan, as sushi rice is not sticky enough. As Japanese saying, "Let's have Sekihan".
What You Need
2 1/2 cup glutinous rice
2 oz azuki beans
2/3 tsp salt
1 tbsp black sesame seeds, roasted
How to Fix
- Wash and rinse glutinous rice. Stirring gently by hand. Rinse about 4 times. Then drain. Put the rice in a bowl and cover with water. Soak the rice in the water for 3 hours, then drain.
- Put azuki beans in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a rolling boiling. Boil about 3 minutes, then drain.
- Return the azuki bean to the saucepan and add 3 cups of water. Simmer for 30 minutes on low heat or until aldente. Do not overcook. Drain.
- Reserve the cooking liquid from boiling beans. It's a kind of reddish water. We will need 1 1/2 cup of it. Add water if necessary to bring the reddish water used for boiling beans to make 1 1/2 cup.
- Put rice, azuki beans and reserved reddish water in heavy saucepan. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a rolling boiling, then reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Use spatula to mix the rice mixture. Continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high. Cook for 5 or 10 seconds to evaporate the excess water. Then turn off. Remove the lid to let the steam out. Then fluff the rice gently with folding motion from bottom to up. Transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle over the roasted sesame seeds and salt.
More Japanese Recipes
- Japanese Hot Pot Sukiyaki Recipe
- Easy Japanese Stuffed Mushroom (Shiitake Nikozume) Recipe
How to make Japanese stuffed mushroom. A really tasty finger food.
- Japanese Beef Bowl Recipe (Gyudon) - A Quick And Easy Dish