- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Jeera Aloo Recipe: Potatoes with Cumin Seeds
My parents ate this potato dish almost every Monday, when they would eat only fruits and tubers (phalaahaar, a type of fasting). I ate the regular food and gorged on this dish as well.
How easy is this recipe?
- 250 g potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 2 tbs oil, any neutral oil that doesn't have its specific flavour (I use rice bran oil)
- 2 tsp dried cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- salt, as per your preference
- Cut the potatoes in 1/4 inch cubes and keep aside.
- In a wok or deep pan, heat oil. At the first hint of smoke, reduce the heat and quickly add cumin seeds.
- Add chilli powder, stir for a second and quickly add the potatoes. Stir and add salt. Stir well so that salt, chilli powder and cumin seeds coat all the potato pieces evenly.
- Cover the pan/wok, and leave it on low heat for around 2 min.
- Uncover the lid, stir the potatoes well and leave the pan open now. Continue to stir from time to time so that all pieces cook evenly.
- When the potato pieces become brown and slightly crisp on the outside, it is time to remove them from the stove.
- Serve with any Indian bread.
- If you are in a mood for a sinful snacking, continue to cook the potatoes till they are completely crisp on the outside. You can add another spoonful of oil to make them crispier. Spread the potato piece on your place, slather with green chutney and some sweet-n-sour sauce. Dig in!