Kerala Fish Curry Recipe
A Traditional Kerala Fish Curry Recipe
Kerala fish curry is a very tasty dish when compared to any other Kerala dishes. This dish is prepared in a variety of ways in different parts of Kerala. Below is mentioned one of the traditional method of preparing fish curry in Kerala which is very easy. Any kind of fish can be used to prepare it. But fleshy fish would be more suitable and tasty for this recipe. Fish curry is one of the most sought after items at almost all houses in Kerala.
Give Your Ratings
- 500g Fish, Soft flesh pieces
- 5 no Small onion, sliced into thin pieces
- half tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilly powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Coconut milk
- 2 tsp Coconut oil
- 2 no Tomato
- 3 springs Curry leaves
- small piece Ginger paste
- 2 pieces garcinia cambogia, Kudappuli soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 5 no Green chilly
Kerala Recipe Books on Amazon
Kerala Fish Curry - Cooking Instructions
- Put the fish pieces into a pot. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, curry leaves, tomatoes, ginger paste, green chilly and salt into the fish pieces. Mix it well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Put the kudappuli that had been soaked in warm water into the pot.
- Add the coconut milk into this mixture and stir it well. Heat the pot on high flame till it begins to boil. Then lower the flame a little and allow the fish to be cooked for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. But take care not to break the fish pieces.
- Keep aside the pot and heat the coconut oil in another pan. Add the small onion and 1 spring of curry leaves into it and stir it until the onion changes to a light brown colour.
- Add the mixture of small onion and curry leaves along with the coconut oil into the first pot. Close the lid of the pot immediately.
Kottayam Style Fish Curry Recipe
A genuine Kerala fish curry is ready. You can serve it after five minutes along with rice or chapattis. It’s a recipe which is very easy to prepare. Instead of kudappuli, ripe pieces of mango can also be used.
The fish curry recipe mentioned above will have a lot of ‘charu’ (gravy) because coconut milk is used. Those who like thick gravy can avoid using coconut milk. A recipe is included below which doesn’t use coconut milk. It’s a Kottayam style fish curry.
Read more on Fish Recipes
Ingredients for Kottayam Style Fish Curry
Fish cut into medium size pieces- 500 grams
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Fenugreek (uluva) - ¼ tsp
Ginger and garlic paste- 1½ tsp
Small onion-8 no (sliced into thin round pieces)
Chilly powder- 2 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Kudappuli- 3 pieces
Curry leaves- 3 springs
Salt- ¾ tsp
Coconut oil- 2 tsp
Steps for the preparation of Kottayam style Kerala fish curry
Step 1: Soak Kudappuli in 3 tsp water for 10 minutes.
Step 2: make a paste by mixing the powders (chilly, coriander & turmeric) together with coconut oil/water.
Step 3: Heat oil in a meenchatti or a pan and splutter mustard and fenugreek.
Step 4: Add crushed ginger garlic paste and stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Then add small onion & curry leaves & sauté till it becomes soft.
Step 5: Add the masala paste, salt and fry till oil starts appearing. Add kudappuli along with the water & fish pieces. Combine well.
Step 6: Add required amount of water and cook till the fish is done and gravy becomes thick, it will take around 20 -25 minutes on low flame.
It will be safer to rotate the pan to ensure that fish & masala is mixed well and the fish pieces do not get broken. If Kashmiri chilly powder is used it won’t be too hot and the dish would also have a red color. This fish curry can be served along with rice or kappa (tapioca). This fish curry tastes better if it is used the next day.