- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Kheer- A Yummy Dessert
Kheer is a traditional rice pudding of South Asian sweet dish. It is cooked specially in festivals, occasions and feasts. In India it is also used as Prasad (God’s bhog). It is quick and easy to cook. And in taste, it is delicious, yummy and mouth-watering. It is a cheaper dessert and your need only rice, milk and sugar to cook it. That’s why it is very famous in all over India.
From health point of view, it is very nutritious and beneficial for health. As the main ingredient of kheer is milk. Milk is a rich source of Calcium, Protein, Phosphorous and Magnesium that is necessary for teeth and bone. So it is a nutritious dish that is full of health benefits.
In Hindu mythology, kheer is supposed as the favorite food for God to serve. It is liked by Durga Maa's all forms (swarups). It is one of the most popular serving dish to God.
It is really quick and easy to cook. To increase the taste one can add dry fruits as much as one want for example cashew, raisins, almonds, dry coconut, Pista, saffron etc. According to taste, it can be cooked more till it become more thick. Many people cook it for hours so that it become more thick.
Try once, certainly you will love it.
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- Yields: Serves four people 4 ounce of Kheer
- 3 cups Rice, soaked
- 1 kg Milk
- 4 tbs Sugar
- Coconut, chopped
- Cashew nuts
Directions for Kheer
- First soak rice in water for 10 minutes
- Then heat the pan. Put some oil in it and heat again.
- Put 2 3 cardamom and fry it for a few seconds.
- Now add rice and fry it till it turns to golden in color.
- Boil the milk.
- Add sugar to milk and let it be boiled till it become very thick (almost half of its quantity).
- Add rice to the milk.
- Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Now pour it into service bowl.
- Garnish it with almonds, raisins, saffron and cashew nuts.
- Your Kheer is ready to serve.