- Food and Cooking»
- Beverage Recipes
Kid Friendly Pina Colada Ice Cream Smoothie
Growing up, I loved virgin Pina Coladas. I remember going to Red Lobster with parents and my dad ordered a Pina Colada for himself, but his contained alcohol. It looked so good and I so wanted to taste it. When the waiter came back over, my dad asked if they could make me a non-alcoholic version. They did and right than and there an addiction was born!! Of course, once I was an adult I was able to try the alcoholic version and believe me I drank quite a few on my honeymoon, well it was in the Bahamas, in paradis, so when in Rome do as the Romans do, right?
When we got home from our honeymoon, it was still summertime and I was still craving Pina Coladas, but did not want to consume large quantities of alcohol all day long, all summer long. Lo and behold, one of our relatives gave us a smoothie maker for my bridal shower and decided to try to find the right recipe (fairly simple) and the right ingredients (fairly inexpensive, if possible) to make a Pina Colada smoothie without alcohol of course.
So this recipe was born about 6 years after, when my husband and I were first newlyweds. We still love this one and so now do my young kids. It has fruit and ice cream, so what little kid wouldn't like it. Plus, it fairly simple/easy and inexpensive to make. I have said this before, but with children and living on a budget both are truly a blessing.
- 5 Tbs. Coconut Milk, I use Goya
- 2 1/2 Cups Pineapple Juice, Dole is what I use.
- 1/2 Cup Vanilla Ice Cream, We prefer Breyers or Friendly's
- 1 1/2 Cups Frozen Pineapple Chunks, Again, I use Dole.
- Pour all liquid ingredients into the smoothie maker.
- Add all frozen ingredients too.
- Blend at Low/Dispense setting for 30 seconds, then blend at High setting until smooth.
- While the machine is running, move the stir stick around counterclockwise to aid mixing.
- Serve immediately in glasses. I use chilled glasses from the freezer whenever possible.