Kids Cook Monday: Garlic Shrimp and Rice Recipe
Shrimp is Low Fat and Healthy
When I was growing up, my mom usually stuck to familiar (read, bland) dishes that were not very exciting or tasty! Shrimp was definitely not on the menu. It took me years to develop a taste for seafood.
Raising my own kids, I have found that, if you introduce new flavors and tastes at an early age, they often become less picky eaters. is a great first step into shellfish dishes. It is low fat and healthy, not to mention the most popular seafood in the United States. Shrimp
This garlic shrimp and rice recipe is simple, tasty and good for you. Kids love rice dishes, and the aroma of garlic from the kitchen is enticing at dinnertime. By mixing in fresh vegetables with the stir fry, you can sneak in a serving of veggies too!
A serving size of shrimp (4 oz.) has only about 100 calories, and is an excellent source of protein, tryptophan (helpful for sleep and mood stabilization) vitamin B12, omega-3 fatty acids and selenium.
Rate this Garlic Shrimp and Rice Recipe
Ingredients for Garlic Shrimp and Rice
- 2 cups uncooked jumbo shrimp
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup peppers (red, green and/or orange), chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups minute rice, uncooked
- soy sauce, to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (if desired)
Cook Time for Garlic Shrimp and Rice
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- Yields: 6 servings
Instructions for Garlic Shrimp and Rice
- If using frozen shrimp, thaw completely in a strainer under running cold water. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil, add garlic, shrimp, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until shrimp is pink. During the last minute of cooking, add white wine and lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- This recipe is easiest with Minute Rice. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, stir in 3 cups instant rice, cover and remove from heat. Allow to stand for 5 minutes until water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, stir fry chopped vegetables in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in cooked shrimp and garlic.
- Serve garlic shrimp and vegetables over rice and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro. If desired, add soy sauce to taste. Enjoy!
Tips for Preparing and Enjoying Garlic Shrimp and Rice
Before serving garlic shrimp and rice to young children remove the tails of the shrimp. Make sure that no one in the family or at the dinner table has a shellfish allergy.
Leftovers can be refrigerated for 1-2 days. Reheat in a skillet over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Microwaving left over shrimp will affect the taste and texture.
For a different taste, try adding broccoli or sliced white mushrooms to the vegetable stir-fry. In place of white wine, add chicken stock or vegetable broth.
Serve garlic shrimp and rice with a fresh green salad or fruit salad. Kids love iced summer drinks like lemonade or sparkling water.
Try another Garlic Shrimp Recipe
Do You Like Garlic Shrimp?
© 2012 Stephanie Hicks