- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Kids Cook Monday: Hamburger and Tomato Casserole Recipe
Kids Love Pasta Dinner Recipes!
In my house, pasta is an easy, go-to base for any quick family dinner recipe. The kids love it, pasta is easy to make, and leftovers (if there are any) are simple to refrigerate and re-heat.
Hamburger (ground beef) is another popular recipe staple because it is relatively inexpensive and freezes well.
To make this Hamburger and Tomato Casserole Recipe healthier, use organic grass-fed beef, fresh tomatoes and corn, and whole wheat pasta.
My kids love to help make this simple recipe. After I open the cans of corn, tomatoes and olives, they carefully add the ingredients to the pan. My teenage boys can prepare the pasta noodles and brown the beef. In fact, all I have to do is direct the preparation of this meal!
If you are looking for a simple family dinner that is easy to prepare and that the entire family will love, here it is!
Cook Time for Hamburger and Tomato Casserole Recipe
- Prep time: 25 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- Yields: 6 Servings
Ingredients for Hamburger and Tomato Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups pasta noodles, dry
- 1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz. can yellow corn kernels
- 1 8 oz. can sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon majorem, ground
- Grated Parmasen cheese, to taste
Please Rate this Recipe!
How to Make Hamburger and Tomato Casserole
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to 8 cups of water, and bring to a rolling boil
- Stir in 2 cups dry pasta noodles - we like Penne Pasta for this recipe, but any type of noodles may be used
- Cook noodles for 8-10 minutes; remove from stovetop and drain
- In an electric fry pan, brown the ground beef, stirring continuously, for 6-8 minutes
- Open and drain corn and olives, stir into the beef mixture
- Add tomatoes, garlic and other seasonings and stir together
- Finally, stir in drained and cooked pasta and combine thoroughly. Serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
Another Hamburger Casserole Recipe
Hamburger and Tomato Casserole Leftovers
If you have leftover Hamburger and Tomato Casserole, it will keep in the fridge for at least 3 days.
Your family might be like mine in that they don't want to be served the exact same dinner two nights in a row. Fortunately, you can "disguise" leftovers in soup or burritos.
With soup, use a chicken or tomato soup base and stir in leftover hamburger and tomato casserole. Stir 5-10 minutes and heat thoroughly.
If you prefer wraps, use whole wheat tortillas and place about 1/4 cup of re-heated leftover hamburger and tomato casserole in the center. Fold, roll up and enjoy!
Tips for Making Hamburger and Tomato Casserole
This recipe is designed to be very easy and convenient. We use canned tomatoes, corn and olives. Of course, you can use fresh and/or frozen ingredients instead. Or add your own homemade canned tomatoes, if desired.
When it comes to canned tomatoes, I like the versions that already have seasoning and other ingredients added in. My favorite for this recipe is canned tomatoes with green chiles. Alternatively, you can just add a 4 oz. can of to your canned tomatoes. chopped green chiles
Lean ground beef, at least 93% low fat, is my choice. Of course, organic beef is the healthiest choice. In addition, 100% whole wheat pasta should be used in place of "white" pasta noodles.
Dried herbs are a convenient choice, but we love using fresh herbs grown in our garden, when possible.
© 2012 Stephanie Hicks