Recipe For Kolhapuri Mutton
Cook time: 1 hour 30 min
Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- 1 kg Mutton
- 4 tsp Oil
- 2 nos. Bay Leaves
- 4 nos. Whole dried red chillies
- 4 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 5-6 nos. Cloves
- 4 nos. Onions, Finely chopped
- 5 nos. Tomato, Finely chopped
- 3 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste Salt
- for garnishing Coriander Leaves
- FOR KOLHAPURI MASALA
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds (khaskhas)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Melon seed (kharbooj)
- 2 nos. Mace (javitri)
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds (dhania)
- 2 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds (til)
- 2 tsp Grated coconut
- 5-6 nos. Garlic cloves
- 3 inch Ginger
- Cut Mutton into small pieces. Clean and wash it thoroughly.
- Roast the kolhapuri masala ingredients except garlic and ginger on slow flame for 5 mins. Grind them with garlic and ginger to a fine paste. Add little water to it so as needed.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan with heavy lid. Add bay leaf, whole red chillies, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Saute it
- Add onion and saute till onions turns golden brown.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and grinded paste to it. Saute for a minute or two.
- Add mutton pieces to it and cook it with masala for 8-10 mins. Stir constantly so that the masala does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes to it and cook for 10-12 mins.
- Pour 1 litre of water to it and cook it for 45-60 mins with lid covered on pan on slow flame.
- Add garam masala powder to it. Cook for another 5 mins.
- Remove in serving dish. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice or chapati.