Kosher Spinach Artichoke Casserole Recipe
A Few Kosher Rules Concerning Food
- Fish and meat cannot be served together.
- Chicken, duck, goose, and turkey are all considered kosher birds.
- A rabbi must be present when processed food is prepared.
- Pork, rabbit, eagle, owl, any shellfish, insect, or reptile is non kosher
- You do not serve or eat meat and dairy products together.
- All kosher milk products must come from kosher animals
- Some of the birds that are allowed to be eaten are: goose, duck, chicken, or turkey.
- Birds and mammals that will be eaten must be killed in accordance with Jewish laws.
- Kosher meat must come from an animal that has cloven hooves and chews its cud.
- All blood of the meat and poultry must be drained or boiled out before eaten.
I have included only a very few of the rules concerning kosher food. There are many terrific website out there that have gone into the subject with great detail.
Keeping the Kitchen Kosher
- You need to keep separate sets of tableclothes, napkins, placemats and so forth to use to serve meat and dairy separately.
- You need to keep two different sets of dishes to serve your food. One for meat and one for dairy.
- You will need two separate set of silverware, one for meat and one for dairy.
- Your utensils for meat and for dairy need to be keep separate.
- When storing meat and dairy in your refrigerator, make sure they do not touch.
- Ideally you should use two separate stoves to prepare meat and dairy.
- Also use sperate sets of pans to cook your meat and dairy.
- Dairy and meat should not be cooked in the same oven. If you need to use it for both you must clean it thoroughly and wait 24 hours between cooking your meat and cooking your dairy.
- It is recommended to use separate sinks for washing and preparing foods.
As with the kosher foods I have only included a few of the rules that govern a kosher kitchen.
Health Benefits of Spinach
There are many health benefits to eating spinach. For one thing, it is the most nutritional foods there is. One cup of spinach contains 20% of your RDA of dietary fiber. This is huge considering the fact that the dietary fiber can help digestion, prevent constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and helps you not overeat.
One cup of cooked spinach provides you with over 1000% of the RDA of Vitamin K that vitamin that helps prevent excess the growth of cells that break down your bones. The high level of Vitamin K also contributes to a healthy nervous system and brain function. Eating one cup of spinach helps fight atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease, and stroke.
Spinach is also beneficial to your eyesight. The Beta Carotene contained in cooked spinach also helps guard against age related Macular Degeneration.
- 12 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 small jars (4 oz each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup buttered cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray casserole dish with nnonstick cooking spray.
- Combine spinach, artichoke hearts, sour cream, and cream cheese. Blend well and place in casserole dish
- Combine parmesan cheese, butter and cracker crumbs and top spinach mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes.
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 709 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 25 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Benefits of Free Range or Kosher Chicken
What's the different between free range, kosher, organic, and mass produced poultry? Choose which chicken is right for your family.
- What is Kosher Salt | Compare Kosher Salt to Sea Sal...
Because its salt crystals are larger than standard table salt, kosher salt does not dissolve quickly. This gives you better flavor. Sea salt is not the same as kosher salt; they have different flakes.
- Cookbook Review - Fresh and Easy Kosher Cooking
Are you looking for a cookbook filled with recipes for fresh, kosher meals that are simple to prepare? If so, be sure to pick up a copy of Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking: Ordinary Ingredients. Extraordinary Meals by Leah Schapira. About the Book ...
- All About Jewish Food, kosher, yiddish, Passover
Kosher cooking has some of the strictest rules about cooking so Jewish food has a unique identity and flavor all its own.
- Kosher Carrot Salad Recipe
An unusual savory carrot salad made with parsley, pecans and millet: a healthy, easy to make, vegetarian dish delight, made with kosher ingredients.