Krispy Kreme-The Unforgettable
Most people who have had Krispy Kreme doughnuts certainly haven't forgotten. Their melt in your mouth soft recipe for original glazed is a treat that is really unforgettable. With a long history, a wide variety of flavors, a growing line of products, and an expanding market, they may just be something that everyone will know some day in the future.
- In the next 22 seconds Krispy Kreme stores around the world will produce enough Krispy Kreme doughnuts to form a stack as tall as the Empire State Building.
- Krispy Kreme stores make 7.5 million doughnuts each day which is about 2.7 billion each year.
- Krispy Kreme uses enough chocolate icing to fill five olympic sized swimming pools each year.
- They also use enough sprinkles to fill 33 18 wheeler trucks (without packaging!).
- The newest doughnut craze is people ordering Krispy Kreme doughnuts to be served at their weddings!
A Long History
Krispy Kreme's beginning happened way back in the 1930s. The story has brought them from there, to here.
1933-Vernon Rudolph bought a secret yeast-raised doughnut recipe from a French Chef from New Orleans.
For the next few years he tried to establish a good doughnut shop and failed.
1937-Rudolph took his recipe and a few other items to Winstone-Salem, North Carolina to open the first Krispy Kreme doughnut on July 13th, 1937.
The original business plan was to make fresh doughnuts and sell them to local stores. The stores would then sell them to customers. In many ways this tradition continues on with Krispy Kreme supplying many gas stations, convience stores, and grocery stores all over the nation. However, customers weren't satified with the ones at the store and they started visiting his shop. To meet the needs of the people he cut a whole in the wall so he could serve doughnuts straight to the customers.
Fresh hot Krispy Kremes became something many people desired. Today there is a sign hanging in ever Krispy Kreme window to let customers know when they are serving hot ones!
1940's-The 1940s brought about a large number of franchises. The results that the francises were getting were good, but not consistent enough for Rudolph. With that in mind he opened a mixing factory and developed a dry mix for creating the perfect Krispy Kreme at locations everywhere.
1950's-Now that the mix was perfect making it quickly and easily was Rudolph's goal. With careful consideration he worked out the Krispy Kreme system seen in Krispy Kreme stores all over the United States (and a growing number of international locations).
1973-Vernon Rudolph passed away.
1976-Beatrice Foods aquired Krispy Kreme.
1982-In 1982 a group of Krispy Kreme associates worked hard and bought Krispy Kreme back from Beatrice Foods.
1990's-The 90's were a time of expansion for this primarily southern based company. In 1996 the first New York Krispy Kreme opened. 1999 brought about the first West cost Krispy Kreme in California.
2000s-Recent times have seen a continual expansion of Krispy Kreme. With stores opened in Austrialia, Canada, Mexico, and the UK this International company is well on its way to greatness. To date it has more then 360 stores in 45 of the US states and the district of Columbia as well as the international stores.
Krispy Kreme will not ship their doughnuts due to their inability to guarantee freshness upon arrival.
A Huge Variety of Great Flavors
Krispy Kreme is all about wonderful products of high quality and great taste. Over the years they have introduced and maintained a huge number of great options for all your Krispy Kreme desires.
- Original Glazed. While Krispy Kreme has a huge number of options, their original glazed is what made them popular and keeps people coming back. Plus they give out one free sample to each customer when they are making them hot and fresh! This is the original yeast-raised doughnut that Vernon Ruldolph bought. It is then run through a waterfall of glaze for the perfect touch.
- Glazed Cinnamon-This is a yeast-raised cinnamon flavored doughnut that has been glazed and then dusted in cinnamon sugar.
- Chocolate Iced Glazed-An original glazed doughnut with just a little bit extra this doughnut has had the top dipped in wonderful chocolate icing.
- Chocolate Iced with Sprinkles-It just keeps getting better. Here you have an original glazed doughnut topped with chocolate icing and bright colorful sprinkles.
- Chocolate Iced Kreme Filled-This is a yeast raised doughnut shell that has been hand filled with rich, smooth white cream, glazed, and topped with chocolate icing.
- Delce de Leche-This is a yeast filled doughnut shell that has been filled with deluce de leche kreme (caramel flavored) and rolled in sugar.
- Chocolate Iced Custard Filled-This is a yeast-raised doughnut shell that has been filled with a custard filled, glazed, and then topped with chocolate icing.
- Glazed Raspberry Filled-A yeast-raised doughnut shell that has been filled with thick zesty raspberry filling and glazed.
- Glazed Lemon Filled-A yeast-raised doughnut shell that has been filled with thick, rich, and tangy lemon filling and then glazed.
- Glazed Cruller-A cake doughnut in a cruller shape finished with the perfect glaze.
- Maple Iced Glazed-This is an original glazed doughnut that has been topped with maple icing.
- Sugar-A yeast-raised doughnut that has been covered with sugar rather then traditional glaze.
- Cinnamon Bun- This is cinnamon flavored dough that has been formed into a doughnut shaped with extra dough added to the middle to make the perfect bun shape. It has then been glazed.
- Cinnamon Twist-original dough that is hand twisted into the perfect shape and rolled in cinnamon sugar.
- Cinnamon Apple Filled-A yeast-raised doughnut shell that has been filled with great home made tasting apple filling and rolled in cinnamon sugar.
- Glazed Kreme Filled-A yeast-raised doughnut shell that has been filled with yummy white creme and then glazed.
- Powdered Strawberry-A yeast-raised doughnut shell that has been filled with wonderful strawberry filling and rolled in powdered sugar.
- Traditional Cake-For when simple is enough, there is the plain cake doughnut.
- Cocolate Iced Cake-Here is a chocolate flavored cake doughnut that has been run through the waterfall of glaze
- Glazed Blueberry-Yummy cake mix with tasty blueberry pieces added and then run through the waterfall of glaze.
Glazed Sour Cream-This yummy cake doughnut is flavored with sour cream making for a very moist treat that is then run through the glaze waterfall for a perfect touch.
- Apple Fritter-A tasty fritter this treat is complete with apple chunks, cinnamon, and glaze.
- New York Cheesecake-This is a yeast-raised doughnut shell filled with cheesecake filling, cream cheese icing, and graham cracker crunch.
- Caramel Kreme Crunch-This is a yeast-raised doughnut shell filled with caramel cream, topped with chocolate icing, and finished off with toffee crunch.
All these delicious flavors are only the beginning. In addition to them there are monthly treats based on holidays and seasons. These include special toppings to some of your favorites, fancy sprinkles for the season, and even great unforgettable flavors such as pumpkin spice cake doughnuts. Not every location has every flavor, but when they are there, they are tasty as all get out!
A newer option for great taste is Krispy Kreme doughnut holes. While none of Krispy Kreme's doughnuts actually have their holes removed since they are air expressed into the perfect doughnut shape, this doesn't stop doughnut holes from being so much fun. With that in mind, Krispy Kreme introduced their own doughnut holes.
- Original Glazed Doughnut Holes
- Glazed Chocolate Cake Doughnut Holes
- Glazed Cake Doughnut Holes
- Glazed Blueberry Cake Doughnut Holes
Nothing could be sweeter!
Expanding Into the Drink Market
Of course, doughnuts without drinks is not imaginable. So, over time Krispy Kreme has expanded into the drink market.
With four specially roasted for Krispy Kream blends they have added great coffee to great doughnuts. Roasts include Smooth which is mild and mellow, Rich which is a balanced roast, Bold which is intense and dark, and Robust Decaf which is the perfect cup of joe without the caffeine.
Plain old coffee isn't enough for everyone, so many Krispy Kreme locations have espresso based drinks available as well. These include plain espresso which has been especially roasted for the perfect shot, Kaffe Kreme which is a latte with Original Kreme Syrup, Mocha which combines the wonderful taste of chocolate with the richness of good coffee, Cappuccino which is wonderful espresso, steamed milk, and creamy foam, and finally a latte which is espresso and steamed milk which can be flavored with any of your favorite flavors.
Newest on the scene is Krispy Kreme Chillers which are cold yummy treats. There are the Kremey varieties: Oranges and Kreme, Berries and Kreme, Lemon Sherbet, Lotta Latte, Chocolate Chocolate, and Mocha Dream. There are also fruity flavors in: Orange You Glad and Very Berry.
With a growing product line, Krispy Kreme has more and more to offer customers everywhere.
Don't Forget Your Souvenir
Of course, Krispy Kreme isn't complete without the merchandise. You can get all sorts of great souveniers to remember your Krispy Kreme experience.
- Krispy Kreme Cards.
And don't forget your favorite roast coffee and the best of the syrups.
The Math In Dollars
Of course, all this yumminess might not be enough if it breaks that pocket book. So, what are all these doughnuts going to cost you?
- A single doughnut can cost between 59-89 cents depending on your location.
- A dozen doughnuts at a Krispy Kreme location will cost you between $3.99 and $6.59 depending on your location.
- A dozen doughnuts at a store near you will cost between $4.99-6.99.
- Other options are available at stores all over. A half dozen specialty doughnuts could cost you $3.78.
The Math In Calories
While Krispy Kremes are completely affordable, they do offer a range of danger for the diet.
- Original Glazed-The Original Glazed doughnut has 200 calories, 12 grams of fat, 6 grams of saturated fats, 22 grams of carbohydrates, and 10 grams of sugar.
- Chocolate Iced Kreme Filled-This tasty treat has 350 calories, 20 grams of fat, 11 grams of saturated fats, 39 grams of carbohydrates, and 23 grams of sugar.
- Apple Fritter-This yummy fritter has 380 calories, 20 grams of fat, 10 grams of saturated fats, 47 grams of carbohydrates, and 24 grams of sugar.
If the idea that one is just not enough, then you can see how this can make a huge dent in your diet! For more information check out the Krispy Kreme website.
Delivered to Your Door
In some locations you can even have your Krispy Kreme doughnuts brought to your front door!
Into the Future
Krispy Kreme has done a very good job at expending. There are more and more Krispy Kreme locations all over the world. However, it isn't all great things.
- All the stores in Arizonia and New Mexico were closed in August of 2006. This was because the company that owned them filled bankruptcy.
- 2006 also brought disputes with the company who owns the Krispy Kreme stores in California, this lawsuit was settled allowing Great Circle Family Foods to keep their license and continue running Krispy Kreme stores.
- Canada has also had some problems. The original plan was to have 32 Krispy Kreme stores open in Canada. However, only 18 stores were opened and over time most of them closed leaving only 6.
Even with a bit of problems, there have been a lot of success and they have continued expanding. With more and more stores world wide, it is an exciting future.
Recipes Using Krispy Kremes
Life carries a huge number of great things. With it, Krispy Kreme doughnuts. They have been here since 1937 and after more then 70 years of great doughnuts, they will be around for awhile in the future.