- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Street Food Recipe - Kwek Kwek
Kwek Kwek - The Famous Street Food
Are you fond of eating street foods? If your answer is yes, you must have encountered this food called kwek kwek.
What is Kwek Kwek?
Kwek kwek is one of the popular street foods in Manila as well as in other places all around the Philippines, which is characterized by the chicken’s egg as the main ingredient coated with smothered batter and dipped in vinegar with some selected vegetables. It is sometimes confused by many Filipinos with tokneneng or tuknene which is basically consists of quail eggs not eggs from chicken used in kwek kwek.
So if you’re planning to prepare and cook this for your snack, follow and prepare the ingredients in the recipe below:
Kwek Kwek Rating
- 10 chicken eggs
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon food coloring
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups cooking oil
MORE STREET FOOD RECIPES HERE:
Halo-Halo - The most famous dessert in The Philippines. It was derived from a Tagalog word, halo, which means mix. Halo-Halo is a sweet refreshing dessert or snack.
- Camote Cue Recipe
Camote - Tagalog term for sweet potato and also a popular street food in The Philippines called Camote Cue. Also known as the Filipino version of french fries.
Turon - a famous Filipino street food. It is actually a banana roll coated with sugar.
- In a bowl filled with warm water, put the food coloring and stir. Set aside.
- Fill a big casserole with water and put the chicken eggs into it. Let it boil for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggs and remove its outer shell.
- Pour the cornstarch into a big bowl and roll into it the boiled eggs then set aside.
- Mix together into a separate bowl the flour, salt, pepper and the mixture of food coloring and water.
- Add the eggs into the bowl and coat with batter.
- Pour enough cooking oil into the frying pan. Set the fire into medium heat.
- Fry the coated chicken eggs into the pan.
- Remove the eggs and strain.
- Turn off the heat and serve your kwek kwek with vinegar and onion