- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to make Ladies finger or Vendakkai Kara Kuzhambu or Puli Kulambu Recipe
Vendaikkai Puli Kuzhambu
Ladies Finger / Vendakkai Kara Kulambu or Puli kulambu is one of the South Indian curry, easy to prepare and delicious.. Vendakkai is a popular healthy food due to its high fiber, vitamin C, and folate content. Vendakkai/Okra is also known for being high in antioxidants and is also often eaten as part of a weight loss diet since it is both fat-free and cholesterol-free.
- 200 grams Ladies Finger, (cut in to pieces)
- 5 tea spoon Refined oil
- 10 pieces Small onion, (cut it half)
- 1/2 cup Coconut, (grated)
- 1 tea spoon Chili Powder
- 3 tea spoon Dhania Powder
- 1 tea spoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tea spoon Pepper
- 1/4 tea spoon Mustard
- 1 tea spoon Bengal Gram
- 3 Tomato, (chopped)
- 1 tea spoon Salt
- 1/4 tea spoon Fenugreek
- 2 cup Water
- 1 piece Tamarind, (make juice by soaking in water)
- Pinch Turmeric
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 3 tea spoon Coriander leaves, (chopped)
- Place the Pan in the flame and pour 2 tea spoon of oil.When then the oil is hot put 5 pieces of chopped onion and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Then add the grated coconut,chili powder, dhania powder, cumin seeds and pepper one by one and fry for 5 minutes.
- Put this mixture in a mixer or a blender after it becomes cool.Grind the mixture to a fine paste by adding little water in it.
- Take another dry pan and pour 3 tea spoon of oil in it.When the oil is hot add mustard seeds in it let the seeds to crackle.
- Add Bengal gram, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves in to the oil and fry till Bengal gram becomes golden brown.
- Fry the ladies finger and 5 piece of chopped onions by putting in to the hot oil containing the mixture.
- Followed by add the chopped tomatoes in the oil containing the mixture and smash them.
- Now pour the Ground masala paste and tamarind juice in to the mixture and stir well.
- Add water, salt to the Kuzhambu and close the lid and let them boil for few minutes.
- When the dish is cooked Garnish with coriander leaves and serve in a bowl or a vessel.
- Vendakkai puli Kuzhambu is ready to serve with rice, dosa, chapati, idly.
- Note:Salt and chili powder can be added later depending on your interest.