Lamb Cooked in a Camp Oven - Lamb Souvlaki
Get Your Taste Buds Ready
This is a delicious, simple lamb souvlaki recipe with homemade tzatziki that my mum sent me. She cooked the lamb in a camp oven, so I thought it was a great idea to write up the recipe and show you how it was done.
- 1 tub (500g) Greek style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (more if you like it garlicy)
- 1/2 cup grated cucumber, (without the seeds)
- pinch salt and pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
Lamb and dressing:
- 1 kilogram lamb
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sliced tomatoes
- 1 whole iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 onion (optional), chopped
- 10 pita bread
Lamb Cook Time
- Tzatziki Instructions: Squeeze liquid out of the grated cucumber. Add yogurt, olive oil, cucumber, garlic and mix all ingredients together. Add parsley or mint (optional)
- Light up the coals and get your camp oven ready.
- Rub lamb with oil, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic. You can put as much of these ingredients as you want. If you wish to add other spices, go right ahead. Falvour that meat however you like.
- You can also leave it to marinate for a few hours, which is optional. But if you're hungry then don't wait a moment longer.
- Place lamb in the camp oven and cook slowly for 1 hour. check it every 20 minutes, rotating it.
- Warm the pitas up in a pan with some olive oil.
- When the lamb is ready and done get it out and slice the meat up.
- Lay out the pitas and add meat, tomatoes, lettuce, tzatziki. Wrap up your souvlaki and enjoy.