Lamb Stew for the Crock Pot Inspired by Shepherd's Pie
Rate this Stew!
Stew for a Cold Day
The frigid temperatures of the last few days really gave me a craving for a thick, hearty stew. The grocery store had some lamb for stew meat and it gave me a great idea. How could I transform the traditional ingredients of Shepherd's Pie into a meal that could be cooked in the crock pot?
Lamb Stew IngredientsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Shepherd's Pie Inspired Lamb Stew Ingredients
- 1.75 pounds Lamb, Cut into bite size pieces
- 4 Large Russet Potatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Baby Carrots, Whole
- 1 1/2 cups Peas
- 2 Small White Onions, Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 6 ounces Tomato Paste
- 15 ounces Chicken Broth
- 1/3 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 Strip Smoked Bacon, Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Rosemary, Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Seed
- 1 Tbsp Mint, Chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 8 grinds Black Pepper
- Combine lamb, potatoes, carrots, peas, onion, garlic, bacon, herbs and spices in a crock pot. Mix well.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the broth, vinegar, tomato paste, soy sauce, and corn starch.
- Pour the sauce over the other ingredients in the crock pot.
- Put the lid on and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Pictures of the Filled Crock Pot
|Serving size: 2 Cups|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 6 g||30%|
|Unsaturated fat 12 g|
|Carbohydrates 46 g||15%|
|Sugar 11 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 57 g||114%|
|Cholesterol 150 mg||50%|
|Sodium 1350 mg||56%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
This stew is very high in Niacin, Phosphorus, Selenium, and Zinc. It is also high in vitamins A, B6, B12, and C. It can give chicken noodle soup a run for it's money! It's a great meal for when you have a cold.